From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:32:19 -0500

About 3 years.

> Do you think you will
> eventually be able to live zinc-free?

I hope so. My zinc needs have declined a little bit, but not much.

> Also, do you take zinc+copper supplements?  I read that taking excess
> zinc can cause serious harm from copper deficiency.

Yes, I take copper also. Strangely, most zinc supplements don't include
copper--even the high 50-100 mg doses of zinc, so I take a separate copper
supplement, such as the Nature's Life or GNC brands. You can read about
copper and zinc here:

From: Zinc
http://www.ppsrx.com/hn/Supp/Zinc.htm#Side-Effects

"Zinc inhibits copper absorption. Copper deficiency can result in anemia,
lower levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol, or cardiac arrhythmias.28 29 30
Copper intake should be increased if zinc supplementation continues for more
than a few days (except for people with Wilson's disease).31 Some sources
recommend a 10:1 ratio of zinc to copper. Evidence suggests that no more
that 2 mg of copper per day is needed to prevent zinc-induced copper
deficiency. Many zinc supplements include copper in the formulation to
prevent zinc-induced copper deficiency. Zinc-induced copper deficiency has
been reported to cause reversible anemia and suppression of bone marrow.32"

Be sure to take zinc with food, as zinc on an empty stomach can cause some
nasty heartburn.

I also take a multivitamin/mineral, which is probably a good idea because
zinc also competes for absorption with "iron,35 36 calcium,37 and
magnesium." http://www.ppsrx.com/hn/Supp/Zinc.htm#Side-Effects The multi
contains some copper, so I don't need to take my full copper supplement
every day to get the recommended 2mg/day copper. I have never had any of the
side effects associated with zinc overdose or copper deficiency.

One study also suggested that over 100 mg / day might increase the risk of
prostate cancer in men (Too Much Zinc Ups Prostate
Cancer-HealthDayNews-02/07/2003,
http://www.cpaaindia.org/infocentre/clipping_poc.htm) but that study is not
considered conclusive.

Zinc intake needs would depend on the level of deficiency or lack thereof in
an individual. While the studies on potential long-term problems from zinc
are contradictory and inconclusive, if you find that zinc helps one or more
of your symptoms you should probably take the minimum dose that treats the
symptoms because of the long-term use concerns (and you should be sure to
take copper and a multi--or a multi containing the correct proportion of
copper up to 2mg/day).

> quite quickly when a toxin is removed.  Any idea why malabsorption
> would last?  What sort of damage does it take to cause long term
> malabsorption?

Damage to the intestinal villi and microvilli is one example of this sort of
damage. It's common among celiacs; some never recover from it. Also "a
common cause of malabsorption is insufficient production of digestive
enzymes by the pancreas, as occurs with some pancreatic diseases, or by the
small intestine, as occurs in lactase deficiency. Decreased production of
bile, too much acid in the stomach, or too many of the wrong kinds of
bacteria growing in the small intestine may also interfere with digestion."
http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch125/ch125a.html