From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:22:28 -0500
C. Kuni wrote:
> We watched "Walking with Cavemen" last night. (Netflix.)  Very interesting portrayal of early man.  I learned a lot, though I'm not sure how much of the film was fact and how much was speculation.  The climate/food connection was especially interesting to me.  Also, it looks like we were meat eaters for quite some time before we ever cooked our food.  So why do we have so many problems with e-coli and bacteria today?  Any thoughts?
> CK

This may be an area where the "blood type diet" theory has some merit.
It is a fact that people with type A blood make less gastic HCl than
those with type O blood.  It also appears to be true that the frequency
of type A blood in human populations increased about 40,000 years ago,
although there's no reason to suppose that it *began* then.  So that
raises an interesting question:  What might have happened 40,000 years
ago to make the world more hospitable to those with type A blood,
resulting in an increase in the relative frequency of that phenotype?

Note that both type As and type Os make *enough* HCl to activate the
proteolytic enzymes.  To my knowledge, there is no evidence for the
claim that type As don't make enough HCl to digest much meat.  But type
Os seemingly make more than enough, suggesting that the additional HCl
may have provided another advantage, at least until about 40,000 years
ago.  So one theory is that gastic HCl also serves to kill food-borne
microorganisms (dogs and other carnivores also produce high levels of
HCl), and the cooking of meat became common, this defense became less
important, resulting in a proliferation of the type A phenotype that,
prior to cooking, was held back.

It would be useful to see if type As have more problems with E. Coli
etc. today than type Os do.  That would be predicted by my theory.

This is purely speculative, but you did ask for *thoughts*!

Todd Moody