Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 17:20:43 -0500
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:19:18 -0500, Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would like to revisit whether yams are Paleo or not.

I don't think that they were foolish enough to eat such a high carb food.

> * Yam linked to homo erectus finds 400,000 ya and yam digging sticks
> dated
> to 40,000 B.C. by D. G. Coursey, "the preeminent scholar of West African
> yams"

Are they certain that this is the purpose of these sticks?
Maybe they were used for a paleo version of horse-hockey.

  Preparing
> some
> species of yam is a time-consuming process, involving days of pounding,
> leaching, and boiling to remove the toxins. Yams may be served fried,
> boiled
> or pounded into a paste." - Wikipedia

Males are too lazy for this. Females had better things to do in a time
when the earth was swarming with edible animals.

>> Starchy (high carb), and therefore unhealthy
>
> [Aren't beets fairly starchy too? Ray Audette prohibits beets.]

Postulate: yams were a weapon; get your neighbours to eat them, when they
get fat and slow kill them and take over their territory. A paleo version
of the Darwin award.

When I first joined this list, there was a member named Amadeus, who
believed that tubers were the staple of paleoman.
Amadedus was fiercely opposed by Andrew. Their squabbles were entertaining.
Maybe worth looking in the archives, if interested.
IIRC Andrew won.

William