C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 14:26:33 -0400
Jokesters don't always "get away" with their humor...believe me!
Especially when you start making up "tall tales" and then forget who you
told them to or in what context.  When I used to get caught telling a
whopper my reply was always, "Well it COULD have happened that way!" ;-)
I think my parents probably chuckled inside...but I still got my
britches burned. LOL!

I think my humor comes from my daddy's outlook on things when I was a
little kid and whined about the way other kids poked fun at the braces
and what-not.  He said, "You can laugh and live, or cry and die."
That's stuck with me since I was about 8 years old, I guess.

I think maybe that's what happens to a lot of us that get real
passionate about a "cause"--be it politics or disabilities or which side
of the street you should drive on.  If you take yourself too seriously
then I think you "die" a little bit.  Heck, I may say the world's going
to end if Hillary Clinton gets elected President.  It won't, but there's
a lot of folks who think it will--same thing for Mitt Romney or Borat
Alabama.

Hanging around my wife and all of her dying leukemia buddies has taught
me that the sicker you are, the sicker your humor--and I think that's
healthy.