C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 19:59:05 -0400
I have to admit that when I first read this, I was so incensed, I fired
off a scathing reply but fortunately for the sake of peace (and as a
list mod), I was called away and so when I got back to my  , I decided
not to send it but wait until I got home and reply then.

Well, I'm home and even upon a second read, your post still really
pushes my buttons.  I know you're the mother of a CP child, but I must
say your paternalistic attitude towards CP people as a whole really
smacks of ignorance of their basic rights as human beings.  How on earth
would you know that Ashley doesn't feel pain and humiliation at being
treated as  a baby?  Convenience for the caregiver is all well and fine
but what about the client?  Doesn't anyone consider them?  Hasn't anyone
made any attempt to have her communicate via an assistive device?  I'd
bet she'd have a lot to say if anyone would just listen!

I have a friend who was forced to go through involuntary sterilization
just because she was classified as "slow."  The pain is still fresh in
her mind and she still can't trust her family to do right by her.  If I
could somehow undo the damage for her, I would.  It's unspeakable.

I would never presume to think for another person if I could help it.

Kat