C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:35:18 -0600
Ken,

The space program has had tremendous spin-offs, no doubt.  A lot of the
advances in computer technology are directly from that.  Went to Canaveral
in December, and saw the launch room for the Gemini and Apollo missions, and
was told that the computer power in that room could be mostly handled by a
pretty average desktop today.  That has trickled down to power chairs and
aug. comm. devices, and a host of other applications.

I've got a cousin who lived in an institution from about 1959 to the mid
'80's, because he's got significant cognitive disabilities and CP; Matt
moved to a group home then, and has been able to make great strides in
communication (sign mostly - don't think they've tried AAC), and is a lot
happier.

I haven't even talked to an orthopod about the neck yet.  When I do, I'll
have my neurologist in on the conversation so that we can get the best
overall picture possible.  I'm really glad I ended up in the field I'm in,
because it showed me the importance of a multi-disciplinary team, and how to
put one together, even if the members of the team are in different
locations.

--

Kendall