C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:27:53 -0500
One thing I can tell you, if you are going to teach them about
cooking on the stove, teach them caution first.  I am a good cook and
am normally very careful when dealing with hot pans, etc,. but I
managed to scald myself last Sunday and am now dealing with a second
degree burn on my wrist and hand. I was attempting to drain pasta via
the lid (which is perforated for this purpose) but I was inattentive
and the lid fell off and the hot water and pasta poured over my
hand.  Worse pain that I can remember in my life.  So the lessons are
twofold:

1) Pay attention to what you are doing at all times in the kitchen, and
2) Lots of cool water is the best first aid for a burn.

Then run to the pharmacy with the burnt hand wrapped in cold paper
towels in freezing weather to get ointment and bandages, which leads
me to the most important thing --

HAVE A FULLY-STOCKED FIRST AID KIT IN THE HOUSE OR FLAT

My best friend gave me a colander, saying I now have no excuse to get
into hot water! ;)

Kat