C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
heidi tibollo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 21:51:52 -0700
Not knowing all the details here... I am concerned though. Menopause does have it's own effects on the body. The lowered estrogen leads to an increase risk in heart attacks. Isn't bone fractures increased after menopause also. Surgery is not without risks, esp. in a person who is wheel chair bound, you worry a little about blood clots and pneumonia more than a really mobile person (speaking as a nurse here). Risk of infection is never a pleasant thought either. My own father basically died from elective surgery. If the periods are painful there is a procedure to lighten them by cauterizing the inside of the uterus. Birth control always gave me migraines and weight gain. My mother (a nurse and NP for 40+ years now) always administered Depro shots to the mentally impaired to prevent pregnancy. Now these shots have a black box warning about their side effects.
Having worked in nursing homes the aides can be trashy. I do think about male aides doing improper behavior with a patient. I had a coma patient who was twenty and drop dead gorgeous... worried about her... what would happen after her hospital stay. A male nurse who left before I started a job at an ICU apparently checked every female patient for breast implants. So... not sure what the answer is here. Wish healthcare was better... I left b/c it was too much stress and really bad hours.

I thought institutionalism was dead. In Buffalo, group homes are big. I love the group home idea... gives a semblance of normal life instead of away from society. Also, my mother worked in an institution for the mentally impaired in Syracuse. She had a lot of problems with the aides. Serious problems! Accountability is much easier in a small group home and the neighbors will look out for the group home residents also. Institutions equate warehousing to me in my opinion. For shame! To easy for abuse to occur.
Heidi