C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:35:09 -0400
From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Linda,

  Thanks - I will.

          Trisha

-----Original Message-----
From: Cerebral Palsy List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of Linda Macaulay
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 1:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: introduction

Trisha,

Feel free to give Amber my email is she would like to talk to me
directly.  I love mentoring new teachers and have done it many times.

Let's see, positive experiences...LOTS!
1. Being a role model to the kids who may have disabilities to see
they can do what they want if they work hard at it.
2. Teaching a 5th grade boy who couldn't read above a 2nd grade level
to be a computer wiz, who went on to be fully included in all classes
by 8th grade, and is now in college for web design (and actually
designing my husband's company website...we keep in touch still and I
call him a friend now).
3. Getting the hyper/discipline problem kids to behave just by making
them feel important, getting them to help me carry stuff, lift
things, hang things on the wall, run errands etc.

Negative...very few...I have had a few parents over the years that
aren't quite sure how to deal with their kid having a teacher with a
disability, a very few questioned my ability but quickly shut up when
they actually saw me teach.

Honestly, my mom never wanted me to be a teacher because she said the
kids wouldl push me down on purpose...and NEVER ONCE in my 12 years
of teaching has that happened.  Heck, I had a really violent kid my
first year in 5th that would throw desks and things and I could stand
right next to him as he had a fit and he would never touch me.  When
the principal or other teachers would come in to "remove" him, he
would lash out at them...He knew I cared about him and didn't dare
hurt me cause all he** would have broken loose then!

Linda