C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:05:01 -0500
7bit
From:

KAT says:
I'm sorry but as a disabled person, I disagree vehemently with your
statement.  How do you really and truly know that a person with
mental retardation has no self-awareness at all?  How do you know
that such a course of action will truly do no harm to the person?

To Kat-- That is why I said if the child is mentally only a baby or say 1 or 2 mentally.
Plus I did not say mental retarded... I said if they did not know.  Like my child who's
brain is swiss cheese.. By the MRI.  From prematurity.  I know it is not a 1 for all kind of
think but should be able to be done for some of us to care for our childern.

Mike says:
And what happens when the caregiver dies?   How come she is incontinent?
My child has very bad brain damage from prematurity and we do not know why she
can't not be taught to go to the bathroom.  We have been working on
it for the last 8 years and still she can not do it.  But we keep trying.
She is 11 years old but mentally about 5 or 6. She can't sit up very well and
can't feed herself or brush her own hair but we try.

Kristina