GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:48:14 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 023/2007, 26-27 February  2007

Editorial
SENEGALESE ELECTION LESSONS
As we go to press the  electorate of our only neighbour, Senegal, are going
to the polls.  The  campaign has not been without hitches, but one thing is
quite evident – security  forces have not put themselves in a compromising
situation to be used as a pawn  at the service of the ruling party. Rather, they
have displayed a fair degree of  neutrality and professionalism in their conduct.
The media as a whole has  played the honourable role of providing a channel
for candidates to be heard by  the electorate. Both the non-governmental and
the state owned media, be they the  print or electronic media, gave a wide
coverage of the campaign and polling.
The non-governmental media were not afraid of closure consequent upon their
broadcast or publication of views of political opponents. Even the state owned
 television was not transformed into the mouth piece of the ruling party. Not
 only were political parties granted equal air time for party political
broadcast, Abdoulie Wadda’s image and footages of his activities did not
overwhelm  the electorate to give him an edge over his opponents. These  broadcasts
were given priority because of their importance and made at peak  periods.
No one felt threatened of losing one’s job because of lack of  support for
the ruling party or supporting the opposition. Many Gambians who  monitored the
campaign felt the free atmosphere that prevailed during the  campaign.
One thing that many Gambians also appreciated is the sight of  Senegalese
voters queuing to vote in The Gambia. Well, this is not the first  time. The
Senegalese have given effect to the right of their citizens abroad to  vote unlike
The Gambia.
Section 26 of the constitution makes the right to  vote a fundamental right.
Paragraph (b) states:
“Every citizen of The Gambia  of full age and capacity shall have the right,
without unreasonable restrictions  to vote and stand for elections at genuine
periodic elections for pubic office,  which elections shall be universal and
equal suffrage and be held by secret  ballot.”
Section 39 (1) which is an entrenched clause states:-
“Every  citizen of The Gambia being eighteen years or older and of sound mind
shall have  the right to vote for the purpose of elections of a President
…………”
Every  citizen here means every citizen, whether resident in The Gambia or
abroad. This  is why the Elections Decree makes provision in section 141 for
Gambians abroad  to participate in presidential elections. It states:
“The Independent  Electoral Commission may make rules for Gambians in any
foreign country to vote  in a Presidential election.”
President Jammeh however sees this issue  differently. He feels that the
thousands of Gambians abroad who plough a  thousand or so million dalasi into the
economy each year and help to stabilize  the foreign exchange balance should
come to The Gambia every five years in order  to vote.
This attitude has killed the spirit of the IEC to register Gambians  abroad
to vote at elections. In short, one can safely say tens of thousands  living
abroad have been disenfranchised. There has to be a turn around.

DR. BADARA LOUM GRANTED BAIL
Dr Badara Loum, a Former Permanent  Secretary at the Department of State for
Agriculture has been released on bail,  reliable sources informed this paper.
A source informed this paper that Loum  was granted bail by Justice Dordzie
of the Banjul High Court on Thursday. This  release came in the wake of an
application for bail filed by his counsel.
A  reliable source has informed this paper that the state has preferred
charges  against him.

AT THE COURT MARTIAL,
2nd LIEUTENANT SANYANG  TESTIFIES
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Second Lieutenant Pharing Sanyang, who is  standing trial at the court
martial for his alleged involvement in March 21st  2006, abortive coup, has
testified before the court on Friday 23rd February 2006  at Yundum Barracks.
2nd Lieutenant Sanyang told the court that on the 21st  March 2006 he was at
his office at the State Guards Headquarters. He said that  he was later
informed by his Second-In- Command (2/IC) of the battalion, Captain  Famara Jammeh,
that he had information about a coup being planned by some  people. Sanyang
indicated that he asked Jammeh who gave him the information. He  noted that
Jammeh told him that he got a phone call from one Warrant Officer  second class
(WO2) Gibba of The Gambia Armed Forces. He said that both of them  tried to keep
in touch with their commander, Major Sering Momodou Njie (then a  Captain).
He said while he and Jammeh were trying to reach Commander Njie  through
telephone, Jammeh left for his office. He said that he later got in  touch with
Major Njie and asked him whether Captain Jammeh had informed him  about what was
going on. Lieutenant Sanyang indicated that Major Njie told him  that Jammeh
had informed him about it and gave brief explanation. He said that  Major Njie
told him that he (Njie) was at around the Serrekunda market but that  they
should meet at the State House. Sanyang indicated that he also told Major  Njie
that he would rush to his office to pick up his rifle and other military
gears. He said that when he arrived at the State House, Major Njie gave him a
batch of soldiers to go and take care of the airport security before the arrival
of the President.
Lieutenant Sanyang indicated that he then checked their  military equipment
and later realised that some of them were not in good  condition. “When we
changed the ammunitions until everything was intact, I then  asked my men, whether
they are good to go, they said ‘Sir, if you are good to  go, we are good to
go,’” he said. He said that while they were boarding the  truck for the
airport, Commander Njie was making arrangements to deploy other  soldiers to go and
arrest those people whose names were involved in the alleged  coup plot. He
pointed out that he left for the airport at around 6:00pm. He said  that he
later realised that his communication radio batteries were weak. He  narrated that
he later called his younger brother to check his brief case and  take some
money to buy eight credit cards of Gamcel, including one Africell  credit card.
He said that he distributed it among the phones in the platoon for  them to be
communicating with each other. Sanyang noted that he then tasked  various
groups for their responsibilities and deployed them to various security  points
of the airport.
He said that he was later called by Major Njie to  enquire about the
situation on the ground. “I told him ‘Sir, as for now there is  no problem’. I also
asked him whether I can take the control tower and allow no  plane to land
until the president arrived. He asked me to wait for his orders  before I can give
any orders. The president arrived at around 11:00pm to  12:00midnight. I went
with Major Njie to receive the president at the foot of  the air craft;” said
Sanyang. He said that Major Njie and the president left for  the State House.
He said that he was later ordered by Major Njie through  telephone that he
should hold the ground for forty eight (48) hours.
“I was  there until at the early hours of the 22nd March 2006. In the
morning, when  Lieutenant Musa Jammeh, alias Malya Mungu, Lieutenant Alieu Ceesay,
Sergeant  Sulayman Badjie and Sergeant Buba Badjie came, they told me that they
had come  to change my position and also check my health condition. Lieutenant
Ceesay took  over my position and I joined the vehicle with Lieutenant Jammeh
with the two  Sergeants. When we reached the Mile Two gate, Musa Jammeh told
the driver to  drive into the Mile Two premises.
When we arrived he asked me to hand over  my rifle to him. I asked him why
and he responded ‘You are under arrest’, said  Sanyang.” I then handed my rifle
to him, plus the ammunitions, pistol,  explosives and my Wedding Jacket as
well. He then called, Lance Corporal Malick  Jatta, Corporal Ismaila Jammeh,
Private Alieu Jeng and Private Michael Jatta, he  told them to take me and sort
me out. I asked him for what they were taking me.  He said they are going to
punish you. I asked him why? He said, ‘You have some  connection to the coup
plotters’. I told him that I had no connection with the  coup plotters. He said,
if they deal with you that will be the time you will  know that you have
connections with them,” Sanyang narrated. He said that he was  then handcuffed and
made to join a vehicle with Malick Jatta sitting at his left  while Private
Jeng sat at his right and Corporal Jammeh took the front seat and  they headed
for the NIA Headquarters.
The case was adjourned till 1st March  2007.

BETRAND SAMBOU ARRESTED
Mr. Betrand Sambou, a native of  the Casamance region in Southern Senegal,
was arrested by the Sibanor Police few  weeks ago.
According to a relative of Mr. Sambou who lives in The Gambia his  arrest
came after when one Young man was apprehended by the Police at a Bulock  check
point. Mr. Sambou was said to have been approached by the Police who  arrested
him on the spot and took him to Sibanor Police post from where he was  later
transferred to the Serious Crime Unit at Police headquarters in Banjul  where he
is reported to have been held presently.
Foroyaa made effort to get  in touch with the police to verify rumours of
Mr. Sambou’s link with  the insurgencey and /or the reason for his arrest.
When contacted, the Police  Public Relations Officer (PRO), Aziz Bojang, told
this reporter that he is  presently busy on preparation to go on a mission.
Superintendent Bojang then  advised this reporter to wait for his successor or
contact any other person in  the Police Force. This reporter went to the
office of the Inspector General of  Police but was told by the Secretary that the
IGP was out at the time and could  not be available.

DEBT AND NEW FINANCING STRATEGY REPORT DUE  SOON
Bubacarr K. Sowe
Dr. Chris O. Itsede, Director General of the West  African Institute for
Financial and Economic Management (WAIFEM), has announced  that Gambia will soon
get a report articulating debt and new financing  strategy.
Dr. Itsede was speaking at an ongoing debt and new financing  strategy
analysis workshop organised by his institute and Debt Relief  International (DRI) at
the Paradise Suites Hotel.
He said that  participants who are officials with responsibility for debt
management and  poverty reduction programmes in The Gambia will produce a report
for the  consideration of senior policymakers.  He said they will also prepare
a  time table for regular updating of the country’s debt strategy; and review
 capacity building needs for strengthening, monitoring and analyzing those
different types of external resource inflows.”
Specifically, Dr. Itsede said  the workshop will review and update The Gambia
Debt Strategy Document prepared  in 2000, identify priority creditors or
donors in line with best practices in  financing for the Poverty Reduction
Strategy Paper II (PRSP II) and sensitise  government officials on debt and new
financing strategy issues.
With funding  by the governments of Austria, Canada, Ireland, Sweden,
Switzerland and United  Kingdom, since 1999 WAIFEM and DRI have worked to capacitate
a national team of  officials with expertise in Debt Strategy Analysis (DSA)
methodology in each  WAIFEM member country. Itsede said due to staff turnover,
many of the trained  Gambian officials on DSA Methodology have either left the
public service for the  private sector with higher remuneration or gone for
further studies, thus  creating capacity constraint in the Debt Management
Units.

OPINION
HAS THE GPU REPORT DONE JUSTICE TO  FOROYAA?
WHERE ARE ITS FACTS?
By Ousman Sillah
I want to respond to the  claims made against the Foroyaa Newspaper as
contained in The Gambia Press Union  (GPU) “Report on Media Monitoring Exercise of
the 27th January 2007 National  Assembly elections.”
Although the Foroyaa reaction to the said GPU report, in  its publication of
the 19th – 20th February 2007, has adequately addressed the  issue, I still
believe that there are some few very important points which need  to be
highlighted in order to expose the lack of objectivity and the inherent  contradiction
in the report vis a vis its own facts and conclusions.
This,  however, is not in anyway an attempt to defend, for there is nothing
factual in  the report’s conclusion to be defensive about. My only concern is
centred around  the fact that the GPU report has simply not done justice to the
Foroyaa  Newspaper on the issue of the coverage of the recently held National
Assembly  elections. This is pointedly a rebuttal aimed at putting things in
proper  perspective, so as to set the records straight.
I will, therefore, show the  readers how the purported bias reporting by
Foroyaa is even at variance with the  facts provided by the data in the same GPU
report. This will just go to show how  this unsubstantiated negative conclusion
is just a mere allegation that  fundamentally negates the principles of
objectivity required in journalism.
It is important to note that this exercise by the GPU had received financial
support from the UNDP and is meant to support the democratic process.
The  report indicated that the methodology applied was to engage three
personnel who  monitored the print and electronic media by filling out sheets as per
news item  or article, identify quantity and determining quality. It is also
divided into  pre-election and post-election assessments.
The report presented its own data  in pictograms on what it refers to as Type
of Coverage, size, size of item and  quality.
1. Let’s start with the graph under item 6.1 ‘Type of  Coverage.’
Graph 8A pre-election (January 4-24), according to the  report, monitors ‘
news, editorial, commentary, features, etc…., lumped  together;
Pre-election Report (Jan. 4 – 24)
- The Foroyaa was recorded to  have covered the scale of 1 for APRC, 9 for
UDP, 2 for NADD, 1 for NRP and 4.5  for independents.
- The Point was recorded to have covered 8 for APRC, 4 for  UDP, 3 for NADD,
1 for NRP and 3 for Independents.
- The Daily Observer gave  24 for APRC, 2 for UDP, 1 for NADD, none for NRP
and 1 for Independents.
The  report, under bullet points below, observes as its conclusion  that;

·      Only Foroyaa and The Point  give reports on all political parties.
·      Where  UDP stories were published in the Daily Observer, they were
mainly on arrest,  detention/trial of candidates and there was no comment from
party.
·      The Daily Observer reports give more  coverage to the APRC.
I now ask the readers who, according to this findings,  did Foroyaa give more
coverage to? Is it NADD? Is it not the UDP?
Under Post  Election Report (Jan. 27 – Feb. 2);
-The Foroyaa was recorded to have given 8  for APRC, 3 for UDP, 1 for NADD,
none for NRP and 1 for Independents.
-The  Point has given none for the APRC, 2 for UDP, 1 for NADD, none for NRP
and none  for Independents.
-The Daily Observer has given 4 for APRC, 5 for UDP, 3 for  NADD, non, for
NRP and 1 for Independents.
Based on the above facts, the  report then concludes;
‘Post Election:
·       ‘The Foroyaa gives more coverage to the APRC
·       ‘The Daily Observer gives more coverage to the APRC although almost
all news  items are neutral or negative.’
Can the readers see the discrepancies and the  prejudice inherent in the
conclusion the conclusion that Foroyaa was bias  towards NADD?
Let’s proceed to the findings on the pre-election  interviews.
2.  According to graph 8C, the monitoring of the interviews  is thus;
- The Foroyaa gave 2.5 for APRC, 3 for UDP, 4 for NADD, 1 for GPDP,  none for
NRP and 3 for independents.
- The Point gave none for APRC, 1 for  UDP and none for the rest.
- The Daily Observer gave 4 for APRC and none for  the rest.
Based on the above findings, the report concludes as thus;
‘Pre  Election:
·      Foroyaa interviewed candidates from  almost all parties, Interviews
are not reflective of number of candidates per  party. There is a favourable
slant toward NADD  candidates.
·      The Point interviews on the UDP  were mainly the party leader’s
reactions to the arrest/ detention/ trial of the  UDP candidates in Bakau and Basse.
·      The Daily  Observer only interviews APRC candidates.’
The readers can now see that  despite Foroyaa’s efforts to interview
candidates from almost all the parties,  according to the findings, the conclusion is
trying to negate this essential  element of objectivity by accusing Foroyaa of
biasness in favour of NADD. The  pictogram shows that the Point covered only
UDP and NADD whilst the Daily  Observer presented APRC alone.
In fact, contrary to their findings  which indicated ‘interviews almost all,’
 the Foroyaa had indeed interviewed  candidates from all the contesting
parties, namely, the NRP, UDP, APRC and NADD.  The NRP Candidate for Lower Nuimi
(see No.10/2007 page 9). Mr. Hamat Bah of NRP  was approached twice but he
declined, because he was too busy. Foroyaa had even  gone to the extent of
interviewing a non contesting party, and that is the GPDP  leader, as confirmed by the
findings.
As for the post election interviews,  graph 8D presents its findings as thus;
- The Foroyaa gave none for APRC, 1  for UDP, 2 for NADD none for NRP and
none for the Independents.
- The Point  has given 3 for APRC, 1 for UDP, 1 for NADD, none for NRP and
non for  Independents.
- The Daily Observer gave 3 for APRC and none for the  rest.
In its footnote conclusion on the post election interview, the report  states,
·      ‘Daily Observer interviews still  favourable only to APRC
·      ‘Foroyaa does not  interview APRC.’
This last statement is at variance with the reality. Foroyaa  published five
interviews with APRC Candidates in its first two editions after  the National
Assembly elections. In No. 11/2007, Foroyaa published interviews  with the
APRC Candidates for Wuli West, Kombo North and Kombo South on page 6.  In issue
No.11112/2007, page 10, Foroyaa published interviews with the APRC  Candidates
for Central Baddibu and Bakau.
3. There is also what they called  ‘size of text’ assessment in the
monitoring exercise which, according to the  report, is ‘measured in centimetres square
’.
Graph 9A on pre election  reads;
- The Foroyaa gave 3000 for the APRC, 2500 for UDP, 2000 for NADD, 50  for
GPDP, 100 for NRP and 1500 for independents.
- The Point has given 1500  for APRC, 2000 for UDP, 750 for NADD, non for
GPDP, 100 for NRP and 500 for  independents.
- The Daily Observer gave 4500 for APRC, 250 for UDP, none for  NADD and 50
for NRP.
- The Daily Express gave 500 for APRC, 100 for NADD and  none for the rest.
The report made no footnote observation on these  findings.
Where is the slant of Foroyaa in favour of NADD?
As for graph 9B  dealing with size of text on post election monitoring, it
states;
-     The Foroyaa gave 2000 for APRC, 1000 for  UDP, 1100 for NADD, none for
the rest.
-     The Point  gave 600 for APRC, 1000 for UDP, 1100 for NADD and none for
the rest.
- The  Daily Observer 1300 for APRC, 1200 for UDP, 899 for NADD, none for NRP
and 500  for independents.
- The Daily Express has given the APRC 200 and none to the  rest.
This above graph is also not accompanied by any comments from the  author (s).
Where is the purported Foroyaa bias in favour of NADD?
4.  There was also monitoring on what the report termed as ‘size of item.’
Graph  9C presents ‘size of item’ on pre election report, also in centimeter
terms, as  follows;
- The Foroyaa provided 2750 for APRC, 2500 for UDP, 2250 for NADD,  100 for
GPDP, 200 for NRP and 1500 for independents.
- Whereas the Point had  2250 for APRC, 1500 for UDP, 500 for NADD, 200 for
NRP and 500 for the  independents.
- The Daily Observer provided 2750 for APRC, 250 for UDP, none  for NADD,
none for NRP and 100 for Independents.
- The Daily Express has  given 250 for APRC, 100 for NADD and non for the
rest.
There is no foot note  observation by the GPU monitors.
Where is Foroyaa’s favourable slant towards  NADD?
Graph 9D deals with ‘size of item post election’ and it reads;
-  Foroyaa provided 200 for APRC, 1000 for UDP, 1250 for NADD, none for NRP
and 750  for independents.
- The Point provided 750 for APRC, 1250 for UDP, 1500 for  NADD, none for NRP
and none for independents.
- Daily Observer has given 200  for APRC, 2000 for UDP, 1500 for NADD, none
for NRP and 1250 for the  independents.
Again, there were no footnote observations.
Where is the  Foroyaa bias in favour of NADD against the other contesting
parties?
5. There  is also what the report refers to as ‘Quality.’ This it states, is
determined by  the ‘positive, negative or neutral context of coverage. Now,’
let us see what it  has for us on this score.
Graph 10A of the report presents pre election  ‘Positive News findings as
thus;
- Foroyaa gave APRC 30, UDP 30, NADD 200,  NRP 2.5 and Independents 5.
- The Point gave APRC 20, UDP 15, NADD 10, NRP  2.5 and Independents 10.
- The Daily Observer gave APRC 55, UDP 1, NADD none,  NRP none and the
Independents 1.
The Daily Express gave 2.5 to APRC and none  to the others.
As for Graph 10B on what the report terms “Positive Context  Post Election.’
It presents the findings as thus;
- The Foroyaa gave APRC 10,  UDP 5, NADD 10, none for NRP and Independents 3.
- The Point gave APRC 5, UDP  4, NADD 4 and none for the rest.
- Daily Express gave APRC 1 and nothing for  the rest.
However, observations were made as footnote for both graphs as  thus;
·      Across the board, APRC enjoys  relatively more positive news than the
other  parties.
·      The Daily Observer gives  overwhelming positive coverage and context
to the APRC.’
Looking at these  graphs, does NADD enjoy more positive news and coverage
from Foroyaa than the  other parties?
6. On the part that deals with ‘Negative News’ Pre Election,  Graph 10C
presents its findings as thus;
- The Foroyaa gave APRC 4, UDP4,  NADD1, GPDP1, NRP none and Independents 5.
- The point gave APRC 2, UDP 14,  NADD 1 and none to the rest.
- The Daily Observer gave one for APRC, 3 for  UDP, 1 for NADD, none for NRP
and 1 for the Independents.
- The Daily Express  gave 1 for APRC, none for UDP, 1 for NADD and none for
the rest.
If one looks  at this graph, one will not fail to see that all the four
Newspapers gave NADD  one point each, including the Foroyaa. So where is the
Foroyaa slant towards  NADD?
As for Graph 10D on ‘Negative News Post Election’, it shows;
-  Foroyaa gave APRC 7, UDP 3, NADD 2.5 and none for the rest.
- The Point gave  none for APRC, 2.5 for UDP,2.5 for NADD and none for the
rest.
- Daily  Observer gave none for APRC, 9 for UDP, 3 for NADD and none for NRP
and  Independents.
There was no observation from monitors under footnote.
6.  The last monitoring mechanism was graph 10E which shows ‘Neutral News
Post  Election.’
In this graph, the Foroyaa is the only newspaper shown to have  scaled the
highest point of what the report terms ‘Neutral News Post Election  and this was
on the APRC. All the other newspapers according to the graph did  not provide
to any of the parties any ‘Neutral News Post Election’.
This also  is not followed by any comments from the author(s) of the reports.
However,  even relying on all these facts which are contained in the said GPU
Report on  Media Monitoring Exercise of the 25th January 2007 National
Assembly Elections,  one will not fail to see, relatively, how the Foroyaa was
trying to be objective  and impartial in its presentations as well as extensive in
its coverage. There  is no evidence which shows or corroborates the
allegations that the Foroyaa was  bias towards the NADD party in terms of coverage and
interviews of parties and  candidates.
So my question, therefore, is which facts did the author(s) of  the report
rely on to come to the conclusion that cast aspersion on the  neutrality and
integrity of the Foroyaa.
In reality, the Foroyaa has made  every effort to ensure that there is a
balanced presentation in election  coverage reports. There was a policy in place
which compelled our reporters to  bring stories of all contestants in a given
constituency before publication is  made.
The Foroyaa is not competing with any Newspaper in this country. It has  its
guiding principles, which it impresses on all its reporters. The reporters
are asked to always strive to report the truth, in good faith and in the public
interest. This is what the gatekeepers also safeguard. This is why in The
Gambia, one cannot talk about objective reporting in the media without
mentioning Foroyaa as a leading example.
On The Coverage Of NADD By  Foroyaa
Out of the 5 candidates of NADD, 3 of them were interviewed and 2  meetings
covered before elections.. There was non-coverage for the NADD  candidate for
Sandu constituency whose meetings were not reported and was also  not
interview. The NADD candidate for Wuli West was only covered once in an  interviewed.
Equally, the Wuli East candidate was also reported to be  interviewed once. For
the NADD Central Baddibou candidate, he was interviewed  once and no meetings
of his was covered. As for the NADD candidate for  Serrekunda Central there
was no interview but 2 of his meetings were covered.  All these presentations
were made in a balanced way.
It is a cardinal  principle and requirement for Observers of any process,
most especially  journalists, to be driven in their engagement by the spirit of
an  open-mindedness and sans-prejudice. They should not harbour any preconceive
 notions about somebody or some thing in the absence of convincing evidence
to  conclude otherwise. Journalists, like other citizens, are also stakeholders
in  the political life of a country. As such, they may hold a certain view or
a  given impression of a government and can also support this or that
political  party. This is something that is normal. However, what is  unacceptable
and  is unethical is for a journalist or Newspaper to allow taking open partisan
 inclinations or postures to reflect in its editorial or reporting as such a
stance may interfere and compromise with objectivity, truthfulness,
impartiality  and serving the public interest.
The Foroyaa as well as the GPU and the other  media houses may have people
who support the UDP, NADD, APRC, NRP, GPDP or even  be non-partisan. The proviso
is, this support should not compromise or interfere  with your work as a
journalist or media institution.

FOCUS ON  POLITICS
GAMBIA ON THE ROAD TO INDEPENDENCE
FRANCIS SMALL, FIRST GAMBIAN  DIRECTLY ELECTED
By Suwaibou Touray
To quote a great African historian,  Robert W. July, “Colonialism contained
the germ of its own destruction; indeed,  the whole colonial system was a vast
engine for the creation of a modern,  self-governing Africa. By conquering,
colonialism caused the desire to be  free.
By exploiting, it produced a rising resistance to tyranny. By  introducing
Africa to the modern world, it generated visions of a better life  consummated
in liberty. By demonstrating its own fallibility, it begot the hope  that led
to autonomy.
By educating, it taught the skills of  self-direction.”
By education, the African has the tool to use to regain  his/her freedom.
This was why the colonialists struggled tooth and nail to  disallow the
introduction of committees and councils to the ideas of the  protectorate people.
It is therefore an irony in this day and age for  Gambians who argue against
democracy as an alien ideology. They did not know  that they are speaking the
same language with the colonial master.
As the  struggle involves the provincial people to participate in the
political life of  the country, the struggle in the urban areas intensified to
accommodate African  members not only in the legislative council but also in the
Executive  Council.
This was why by 1942, one of the nominated members of the  legislative
council, Mr. J.A. Mahoney, asked during a meeting when there would  be African
representation in the executive council and the elective principle  introduced in
determining African members of the legislative council. In reply,  the colonial
secretary categorically said the government was not ready to  consider any
constitutional changes.
Despite that, by 1946, constitutional  changes gave the council for Bathurst
to have an elected majority but the  Governor could still dissolve the council
and appoint an administrator, thus  delaying the democratic process.
By 1947, elective principle got  introduced in the legislative council. This
means that the “culture of voting”  has been introduced in the Gambia in
1947. In that same year, the election for  the only seat provided for the
legislative council took place and Edward Francis  Small won the seat as duly elected.
FRANCIS SMALL now speaks with the voice  of the people. His objective was to
push the colonialists through their own  system to attain self-government.
According to the Foroyaa booklet authored  by Halifa Sallah, in 1951, “the
elective seat in the Legislative Council  increased to two. Political parties
also began to emerge in The Gambia. The  Gambia Democratic Party was founded by
Reverend J.C. Fye and Mama Tumani Bah.  They were followed by The Gambia
Muslim Congress of Ibrahima Garba Jahumpa. The  United Party of Mr. Pierre S. Njie
also followed. In 1954, the number of elected  members to the Legislative
Council increased to fourteen. The battle for seats  in the Legislative Council
between the various political parties  intensified.
In 1958, Edward Francis Small passed away at the age of  68 years. The gap he
left in the political life of the country had become  difficult to fill. He
had established Rate Payers Association, Trade Union for  workers, Cooperative
Unions for farmers, a newspaper to enlighten the people. He  stood shoulders
high above the rest and is qualified to be called the pioneer of  Gambia’s
independence struggle.
The independence of Ghana in 1957 gave  impetus to the struggle for
independence everywhere in Africa. In The Gambia,  civil society became more vibrant
from 1957 onwards. The Gambia Workers Union  followed small’s tradition of
building associations to put pressure for  political independence. The political
figures also called for internal self  government. The wave for independence had
started. The colonialists could not  stop the wave. Hence, on 11 March, 1959,
they called for a Constitutional  Conference.
The Gambia Democratic Party, the Gambia Muslim Congress, The  Gambia United
Party, The Gambia National Party and representatives of chiefs,  religious and
business persons were present. This gave birth to the 1960  constitution which
established a House of Representatives comprising 27 elected  seats. 12
members were elected by people resident in the protectorate as it was  then called
and 7 in the colony as it was then called. The chiefs of Districts  were to
elect 8 members.
Prior to the 1960 elections to fill the seats  established by the 1960
Constitution, a party called Protectorate People’s  party,(PPP) which later became
People’s Progressive Party, was formed in  1959.
Politics in the country in the late 1950s and early 1960s were  personality
centred. Consequently, much civic education was not done to prepare  to people
for nationhood. Political parties struggled among themselves using  tribe,
sectionalism, religion, money, thugs, intimidation or any other ideas to  be able
to win votes. They could engage in character assasination just to be  able to
win votes. This is what is called dirty politics.
The colonialists,  however, could not stop the process because of the demand
of the people to  control their destiny. Hence, by 1961, after massive
demonstrations organised by  The Gambia Workers Union, the colonial administration
had to call for another  conference to discuss about constitutional changes. And
protest by the PPP  regarding the appointment of P.S. Njie as Chief Minister
led to the convening of  another constitutional conference.
On 4 and 11 May, 1961, the Bathurst  Conference was held. On 24 July, 1961,
the London Conference was held. The  People’s Progressive Party (PPP), the
United Party (UP), the Democratic Congress  Alliance (DCA), Mr. M. E. Jallow for
the Labour Union, Chief Representative and  representatives such as Mrs. Rachel
Palmer and Mr. Henry Madi were  present.
This gave rise to the 1962 Constitution which provided 25 seats for  the
Protectorate, 7 for the Colony and 4 Chief’s representatives. In the 1962
elections, the PPP had 18 seats, the UP 13 seats and the DCA 1 seat. The 1962
Constitution created an Executive Council with the Governor as President, a
Premier, 8 ministers and an Attorney General. Mr. D. K. Jawara became Premier.  The
Governor had reserved powers as far as defence, foreign affairs and internal
security were concerned, but in other areas he was required to consult the
Executive Council. The House of Representatives was responsible for passing
Bills. But this was subjected to the approval of the Governor, who could
legislate by declaration if he considered it to be in the public interest.
In  1963, Gambia attained internal Self Government with Mr. D K. Jawara as
Prime  Minister, and on 18 February, 1965 The Gambia Independence Constitution
came  into being. This is the day that is often celebrated as Independence  Day.

OPINION
WHO APPROVES THE PRGF,
GAMBIA GOV’T OR  IMF?
By Suwaibou Touray
The caption caught my eye in the observer  Newspaper which kept me laughing
for a second. It is a wrong caption meant only  to confuse us the readers. The
caption is “IMF Approves Gambia’s PRGF.” The  meaning of PRGF (Poverty
Reduction Growth Facility) is very technical. One may  be tempted to translate it to
mean that a facility meant to reduce poverty for  the Gambia is growing.
I dare argue that the IMF infact does not approve the  programme. The fact of
the matter is that it is the IMF which initiated the  programme in the first
place and convinced the Gambia to accept it, not the  other way round.
The PRGF is conditionality on the Gambia because the Gambia  is a highly
indebted poor country. The APRC Government depended on loans upon  loans thinking
that it is loans which can develop a country. It is investment in  the
productive sectors of the economy that can create development not  loans.
Loans not invested in production only goes to make a nation more and  more
indebted.
The Gambia was supposed to have reached the “completion point”  since 2002
but did not. If it had reached the completion point, we could have  benefited
from a debt relief package amounting to about 66.6 million dollars or  1832
million dalasi. This package includes an interim relief in the form of debt
service reduction by our creditors such as IDA, IMF and the African Development
Bank.
But we did not attain the completion point because of what are termed  as “
slippages arising from a combination of so called exogenous stocks, fiscal  out
turns and accommodating monetary policy etc. What does this mean? It simply
means that the Gambia Government could not manage the economy to reduce
expenditure and raise revenue to be able to settle what was due to be paid to  our
creditors as stipulated in the conditions so as to attain the completion
point. So in essence, we have failed to get the debt relief which could have
earned us D1832 million dalasi.
Again what it means is that we have started  from square one: and that is,
the IMF is again saying to us try and get to  completion point and benefit from
debt relief. Again we are saying “the IMF has  approved PRGF. The PRGF will
never be done so long as the conditions for it are  not met. It is like saying,
hey! You owe me D1000 but if you can pay D500 to me  by 10days from now, I
will be willing to relieve you of 10% of the loan which  you can also use to buy
a plate of rice. What about if you did not pay D500 in  10 days it means you
have also lost the 10%.
So will there be any jubilation  in it if I should again tell you that I
still accept to give you 10% if you  should pay me D500 out of my D1000. Any sane
person would not jubilate for such  an arrangement.
According to the promise of SOS for Finance Mr. Gaye, after  the
implementation of a staff monitored programme, a conditionality imposed by  the IMF
between October 2005 to March 2006, the way has been paved for the  restoration of
PRGF from January 2007. He also promised that they will attain  the completion
point established by the IMF by mid year.
So it is clear. The  attainment of the completion point is what will enable
the Gambia to obtain the  debt relief. The reason why I laughed when I saw the
observer caption” IMF  approves Gambia’s PRGF” is because of my observation
that it is aimed precisely  to give us false hope. The PRGF is what the IMF
promised. The caption should  have read “The Gambia accepts IMF conditionality”
not the other way  round.
There is no escaping from it. This country has been reduced to a  heavily
indebted poor country. The Secretary of State infact confirmed this.  According
to him, the Gambia is a low income country with heavy need for  continuous
borrowing in order to meet the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)  which he said
is a great challenge.
According to him, the result indicates  that, with the full delivery of both
HIPC and MDRI relief, the Gambia is deemed  to be in debt stress.
I am definitely frightened by the SoS’s utterance when  he said “The Gambia
is a low income country with heavy need for continuous  borrowing in order to
meet the Millennium Development Goals.”
Is this not  frightening? You are poor and heavily indebted at the same time
conditioned to  pay certain amounts at certain period or be refused loans
which gives you  stress. But again you are saying despite all that I need more and
more loans to  develop. Is that not just spiraling about in extreme poverty
causing ignominious  stress?
The answer is not to take more and more loans. The answer is to put
programmes in place that would allow you to invest and pay loans stage by stage  so as
to get out of the debt trap. Then and only then would you be able to meet
the target envisaged in the Millennium Development Goals which is a big
challenge indeed if they are to be genuinely met.

AZIZ TAMBA, 2  OTHERS CASE DEFERED
By Fabakary B. Ceesay& Bubacarr K. Sowe
Magistrate  Pa Harry Jammeh of the Kanifing Magistrate Court has, on
Wednesday 21st  February, 2007, adjourned the trial of the former APRC bigwig and two
other  defendants to the 27th February, 2007.
When the case was called before a  crowded court room, 493 Badjie announced
his representation for the prosecution  officer. 493 Badjie told the court
that, the prosecution officer, Mballow, was  ill and could not make it to court.
He asked for the case to be adjourned. Two  of the defendants, Famara Colley
and Mustapha Bojang, asked the court to grant  them bail. Mr. Colley informed
the court that his father was ready to bail him  out. However, his father who
was also in court told the Magistrate that he had a  compound at Jeshwang but
did not have a title deed. Mr. Bojang also indicated  that, his brother was in a
position to bail him. But the brother indicated that  he could not tell the
value of his compound located at Tallinding Sicap.  Magistrate Jammeh then told
the defendants that he would think about their  matter. The matter was
therefore adjourned. Mr. Aziz Tamba, the former APRC  Deputy National Mobiliser,
alongside Famara Colley and Mustapha Bojang were  standing trial for fraud at the
Kanilai Family Farm. They were alleged to have  jointly stolen D19, 589, 77
9.34 as employees of the said farm between 2005-2006.  They all pleaded not
guilty. Aziz Tamba is already serving eleven 11 years of  prison sentence from a
different trial.

“ABOLISH OBNOXIOUS MEDIA  LAWS”
The Managing Director of the Point Newspaper, Pap Saine, has asked  National
Assembly Members to abrogate what he described as unpleasant media  laws.
Mr. Saine made this statement at a meeting held at the National  Assembly
Complex on Friday. The meeting was triggered by an invitation sent to  the media
practitioners by the Speaker of the National Assembly, Fatoumata  Jahumpha
Ceesay. However, the Speaker was indisposed and was deputised by  Fabakary
Tombong Jatta, the Majority Leader, at the National Assembly. Mr. Saine  said: “
Abolish the obnoxious laws against the media. It is only few countries in  Africa
that have these laws. Our hands are tied. Revisit the obnoxious laws  against
the independent press. They were enacted in December 2004. There is no  need
to enact obnoxious laws. The courts are here to adjudicate on matters. We  have
problems to access information. We are not invited to government functions.
The government officials are not cooperative.” Saine remarked.
In his expose,  Jatta said the National Assembly members have recognised the
significance of the  media. Jatta said they are looking forward to a conducive
working environment  with the media. According to him, media practitioners
will be given vital  documents that will enable them to report accurately. He
also stated that two  media practitioners from each media house would be
accredited to enable them to  cover proceedings at the National Assembly. He said
media practitioners covering  National Assembly sittings are expected to observe
a dress code. He said  reporters covering National Assembly sittings are
expected to dress neatly.  Responding to the statement by Madi Ceesay (GPU
President) that the press should  be allocated a place at the Assembly, Jatta said
they will make arrangements for  that. On Madi Ceesay’s statement that media
houses should be accredited instead  of media practitioners, Jatta said they would
take that into  consideration.
Other people who were present at the gathering are the Deputy  Director of
GRTS, Modou Joof, Emil Touray of Foroyaa, Suwaibou Conateh of News  and Report,
Dodou Kebbeh, the clerk of the National Assembly and the minority  leader,
Modou Sanneh.

FINAL DAY OF PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN IN  SENEGAL
Fifteen candidates for the 2007 Presidential Election of Senegal have
concluded their campaign trails on Friday the 23nd day of February, 2007.  Senegal
has 5 million registered voters, including those in the Diaspora. The  fifteen
candidates are Abdoulaye Wade, Abdoulaye Bathily, Mamadou Lamine Diallo,
Robert Sagna, Cheikh Bamba Dieye, Me Mam Adama Geuye, Talla Sylla, Idrissa Seck,
Ousman Tanor Dieng, Louis Jacques Senghor, Moustapha Niasse, Modou Dia,
Landing  Savane, Alioune Petit Mbaye and Dodou Ndoye. The candidates are permitted
to  hold meetings until 12 midnight and leave Saturday period as laid down by
the  electoral commission. Some of the the candidates cautioned their
supporters to  respect the rule of law for the maintenance of peace and tranquility and
avoid  the reoccurence of the Wednesday incident between the militants of
Idrissa Secka  and loyalists of Cheikh Bethio Thioune,a mouride Serigne.

WADE  PROMISES PEASANTS
Abdoulaye Wade entered Dakar with his convoy on Friday  after the conclusion
of his provincial tour to hold his final meeting in Dakar.
Addressing a rally in Dakar, Wade called on all the candidates to accept the
verdict of the ballot box. Wade told his adversaries to preach peace for
harmony  on polling day. The candidate of PDS, the Coalition Sopi 2007 promised
Senegal  of realising his dream in two years. Closing his election campaign with
a  mega-meeting, Addoulaye Wade said he does not doubt his victory in the
evening  of February 25.
“Nobody will create situations of disorder. I will not  accept it. I have the
authority and responsibility to ensure order and the  security of the
Senegalese people,” said Wade. He cautioned his militants to go  and to put their
bulletins in the ballot boxes and avoid provocations.
Citing a proverb in Wolof, he said “when a pretty jewellery is put on, one
does not quarrel with somebody who does not have anything around the neck”. He
pointed out that taking into account what he did in Senegal, in Africa and
abroad, will become known to the people when the results are out, which will be
 the future of Senegal. “I will speak to the people about Senegal on Sunday”
,  said Wade. He said after the Organisation of Islamic Conference, Dakar will
 certainly be one of the most beautiful capitals of our continent.
In 2008,  he said Senegal would have beautiful constructions, in particular,
5 star hotels  to accommodate tourists and foreigners. “You will see in two
years an express  train which will bring you to Diamniadio in a few minutes”,
stated Wade.   He promised that Senegal would begin an agriculture project to
produce bio  carburant; that in two years, Senegal will be the only steel
producer in West  Africa. Abdoulaye Wade said that he would continue to work for
Africa. He said  the money to develop Africa exists; there is necessity to know
and seek it.  Referring to young people, Wade said that his government of
alternation is not  against the emigration, but want Senegalese who will go to
France, Spain or  elsewhere to leave with valid documents. “Then my dear young
people refuse to go  to die at the bottom of the oceans”.

SECK VOWS TO SUPPORT ANY BEST  PLACED CANDIDATE
Idrissa Seck the candidate of the Coalition And Ligguèy  Senegal speaking on
the waves of Sud FM, intimated that in the event of second  round if he did
not capture the position he will support the candidate of any  opposition best
placed against Wade.
Politically speaking, he said, in spite  of the many meetings, which they
had, Wade is a dangerous man for Senegal.
Analysts said those who believed that the pipe of peace had been smoked
between them or that the clouds had been completely dissipated between the
President of the Republic and his Ex-Prime Minister, Idrissa Seck after a series  of
meetings, will be disappointed.
Regarding the violence that occurred last  Wednesday, Idrissa Seck holds Wade
responsible for masterminding it. He said is  it Wade who orchestrated the
plan of eliminating him.
“I do not consider any  person in charge of anything else for something.
There is only one of  them. All the others are instruments of execution” alleged
Seck.
Idy  registered these scenes of violence within the framework of the diagram
of  elimination of his person. According to Idrissa Seck, the renewal of the
tension  between him and Wade came owing to the fact that his last dream be
(he) Idrissa  Seck not being a candidate for the presidential election of
February 25, 2007.  #

BATCHILY ON WADE’S ALLEGED PLANS TO BE VICTORIOUS AT ANY  COST
The candidate of Jubanti Senegal Abdoulaye Bathily said that the passage  of
Abdoulaye Wade to the first tower of presidential election on Sunday would
lead the country in chaos. Speaking at the Stade Iba Mar Diop, in Medina, Dakar,
 Bathily said he is in possession of information which reveals that a  ‘
masquerade’ is in the making for the installation of fictitious offices in the
country by the members of the coalition Sopi 2007. He said Wade is trying with
all measures to organize a masquerade and to proclaim himself elected in the
first round.
“We will not accept the results which will leave these  fictitious offices. I
warn Abdoulaye Wade solemnly if he acts like that, he will  be responsible
for the plunging of Senegal in turmoil. He said Wade wants to be  proclaimed
victorious candidate without difficulty on Sunday evening. He warned  Wade of the
dangers which will emanate from such situation. He called on the
international community to take note.
Abdoulaye Bathily said Wade has already  lost Sunday’s presidential election
and as in 2000, he must agree like his  predecessor and respect the verdict of
the ballot boxes. “Any attempt of  President Wade proclaiming himself
victorious, in the first round, will be  followed by great response,” said Bathily.
He lengthily addressed his  militants, supporters and sympathisers who were
putting on pink scarves, caps  and dresses on the importance of an election in
a democracy. He told the crowd  to vote massively for the departure of Wade’s
regime.
A system, which,  according to Bathily made Senegalese sink in extreme
suffering during these last  seven years. “Our coalition made a tour of Senegal and
everywhere we went, the  report remained the same: The Senegalese are
extremely tired. The regime of  Abdoulaye Wade wasted the money of the Senegalese and
has give rise to extreme  poverty within the households”, said Abdoulaye
Bathily.

ROBERT  SAGNA ON HIS COALITION TAKU DEFARAT SENEGAL
Holding his final meeting in his  stronghold, Ziguinchor, Robert Sagna
explaining what motivates him to contest as  a President candidate outlined his main
concerns for prevailing peace in  Casamance. The candidate of Coalition Takku
Defarat Senegal reiterated that one  of his major concerns is the restoration
of peace in Casamance. He told the  Casamançais to regard themselves as
Senegalese, to claim for the same rights and  have the same duties.  He said if
elected, he will devote an invaluable  time to the Casamance which suffered so
much and in need of peace. Robert Sagna  promised to place the Casamançaise in
the topmost of his agenda. Robert Sagna  said he counts on all Casamançais
whose conjugation of their efforts will result  in peace. He also count on men and
women of Casamance to achieve this goal of  the rehabilitation of peace for
peace and prosperous Senegal. The solution,  according to him, is to find a
solution to the problem so that Casamance finds  its lasting peace. He expressed
his confidence that Takku defarat Senegal will  bring better changes in
Senegal, a change that will bring about justice.  Dilating on the value of justice,
Robert Sagna said his party will work for the  re-establishment of the values
of justice in Senegal as left by President  Léopold Sédar Senghor. He said
under his administration as head of the coalition  Takku defarat Senegal, they
aim at a system where the civil servants will not be  victims of exclusion. He
said the drivers, the orderlies and the poor under his  administration would be
men and women of worth and respected on the soil of  Senegal, a country in
which, he said he wishes also to re-establish the values  of solidarity, in
accordance with the ideals defended by social  democracy.

MOUSTAPHA NIASSE’S VISIT TO MEDINA  GOUNASS
Moustapha Niasse the candidate of the Coalition Alternance 2007, paid  a
surprise visit to Médina Gounas on Friday, 60 km from Vélingara. The former  Prime
Minister left by plane for Tamba, before continuing the journey by  vehicle,
in a very discrete place, and is said to have met the young brother of  the
Khalife and some religious dignitaries. There are doubts whether Niasse had
gone to request the active support of the Tidjane family of Médina Gounass.
According to sources, from the tomb of the first Khalife of the place Thierno
Mouhamad Said Bah, and that of his/her maternal uncle Thierno Ousmane Thiam, the
candidate of the coalition Alternance refused to talk to the press about the
issue. A source said his only word was “If I am here, it is to greet the
marabout and to visit the tomb of my late uncle, then received by the khalife,
Thierno Abdoul Aziz Bah”. Sources went further to say that his meeting with
Abdoul Aziz Bah is not fortuitous owing to the fact that this religious
dignitary is recognized as a true `maker of king’ in the locality. The source  said
after having taken leave of the taalibe militant, the president of the  rural
council of Médina Gounass specified that no watchword was given the  taalibe to
vote for such or to such other candidate.
OUSMANE TANOR DIENG ENDS  HIS CAMPAIGN IN PARCELLES ASSAINIES
The candidate of PS (Partie Socialiste),  Ousmane Tanor Dieng chose Parcelles
Assaines to conclude his election campaign.  Addressing his final rally, near
the car park of Stade Léopold Sédar Senghor,  Ousmane Tanor Dieng, pointed
out to the gathering that Sunday will be another  important day in the life of
Senegal as a nation. “We have an image to  safeguard, that of a country where
the democracy is advanced. We should not miss  this go with history”, said
Tanor. According to him, no voice must miss, because  each Senegalese of voting
age must discharge his or her civic duty. He said the  government must take its
responsibilities by organizing transparent, free and  fair elections. The
socialist candidate solicited each political leader to speak  to their militants.
According to Ousmane Tanor Dieng, they must do everything so  that there is no
(dialgati) violation by taking care and making sure that the  rule of law is
respected. He vowed to review the Constitution in order to  restore the values
of the Republic. He said the journalists will enjoy freedom  of expression
and improved working conditions. While claiming to have respect  for his
opponents in the presidential election, he said the essence of the vote  is
determined by the choice of the voter.

ALIOUNE PETIT MBAYE  MANIFESTS OPTIMISM
Alioune Petit Mbaye an independent candidate in his  Liberté VI meeting
proclaimed victory in the presidential election of February  2007.  Alioune Petit
Mbaye arrived around 7 p.m. at the football field of  the Sicap-Liberé VI where
he held his meeting attended by an enthusiastic  audience.
He said at the end of the poll of Sunday, President Wade will  leave the
palace and he as the candidate of youth, hope and qualified dynamism  will take
the mantle of power of the country. “Senegal does not need a  generational
alternation but, rather a generational rupture. According to him,  Abdoulaye Wade
and its putative son Idrissa Seck orchestrated and always  continue to
orchestrate deals at the back of the Senegalese people. The  independent candidate who
affirms being the junior of the Presidential battle  said Ousmane Tanor
Dieng, Robert Sagna, Moustapha Niasse, and others have  nothing to say to the
Senegalese; that they should all be put in the same bag,  because they walked on
the head of this country for more than twenty years,  without anything to prove.
He said they have all dirty hands, whereas he has  clean hands.  He said he
has come to put his knowledge and competences at  the disposal of his country.

CHEICKH BAMBA DIEYE IN ST.  LOUIS
Chiekh Bamba Dieye, speaking in Saint-Louis, said the poverty that had  hit
the most underprivileged of Senegal should not last for another five years.  On
Friday Feb 23, 2007, Cheikh Bamba Diéye chose his birthplace Saint-Louis to
hold his final meeting. Saint Louis had a place of choice in the history of
Senegal and he would defend it; that it will be the place of the
Saint-Louisiens  for whatever generation. According to him, the Saint-Louisiens always were
leaders in Senegal because they are learned.
They learn Koran and French very  early. He asserted that Saint-Louis is
where the political history of Senegal  began. He said in 21 days he explained his
program, his vision and the prospects  which must be set up to develop
Senegal.
Dieye said he travelled the whole  world. He said his compatriots know that
FSDBJ has a program and a vision.  Deliberating on the execrable living
conditions that the Senegalese live and he  said that that must cease.

LANDING SAVANÉ PLEDGES TO BUILD A  GOVERNMENT OF NATIONAL UNITY
At Grande-Dakar, Landing Savané addressed a big  meeting where he pledged to
build a government of national unity. Savane said he  is ready to build a new
Senegal and resolutely engage in working for a true  democracy, fight against
corruption as one of his priorities, but also  eradication of poverty; that
justice and the state of right, also remain  priority axes of its program. The
candidate of AndJef/Pads said he hopes, in  addition, to restore the dignity of
the Senegalese people by consolidating  democracy and peace. He said he will
also combat unemployment. He expressed  readiness to work with the Senegalese
who have the clean hands, for unity, to  make Senegal a prosperous country.

MAMADOU LAMINE DIALLO CALLS FOR  TRANSPARENT ELECTION
Mamadou Lamine Diallo, another independent candidate and  leader of Tekki
chose the suburbs of Guédiawaye to give his final message of the  election
campaign where his last meeting took place. The young people of  Guédiawaye, lodged
their problems to the candidate. The youths complained of the  widespread
incidence of malaria in the area.
In response the independent  candidate said “it is not normal for the
population of Guédiawaye to live under  conditions worse than those of the other
communities.
He promised to meet  the youth of Guédiawaye in order to find solutions to
their problems, shortly  after its election. He also encouraged them to vote
massively for his triumph.  According to Mamadou Diallo, it is the advent of
Tekki that something be done  there for the young people must live in good
conditions. He also said he is  certain of his victory in the evening of February 25.
“We will not  accept fraud elections. We want transparent elections because,
we made a  civilized campaign. “We are sure we will win the election and
change the  behaviour of the Senegalese and create jobs for the young people and
all the  social strata” he concluded.

MAME ADAMA GUÈYE
Mame Adama Geuye  the candidate of Sellal with white and purple flag
addressing a meeting at the  Stade Alassane Djigo de Pikine said reading from the
crowd the mobilisation had  proved that movement is impregnated with the whole
country. According to Mr.  Guèye, a second round is inevitable and the Sellal
will be present there. He  said trying to make people believe that Wade will be
elected in the first round  is a dream, because PDS would not make more than
30%. He called on citizens to  value their votes not to believe any more in the
selfish politicians who think  only of themselves and their families; that it
is for this reason that the  movement Sellal will win the elections. He said
there are more honest men than  malevolent people in Senegal. All the just ones
of the country are neutral to  the capacity and therefore will vote for us.
The candidate of Sellal said he  will support a candidate who has the highest
percentage of vote for the second  round.

TALLA ON GOVERNANCE ON THE BASIS OF JUSTICE
Candidate of  Jëf-Jël Alliance, Talla Sylla,  in a meeting to draw the
curtain of the  campaign for the 2007 presidential race on Friday inspired a
political gathering  in his district of birth, Pikine where he was accorded a
triumphal reception.  The Jëf-Jël Alliance candidate said he is quite simply
convinced of the  Senegalese desire for change. He said Wada has destroyed this
country. To direct  this country, one should be liked and be honest, but these
people are not;  therefore, those the Senegalese want for change because they are
tired”,  stressed Talla Sylla in an indescribable clamour. He said the Jaxaay
Plan did  not bring anything to the town of Pikine. Today, it is clear that
Abdoulaye Wade  did not do anything to leave this district in its current
situation. He called  on the youths to rise up by putting a term limit to the reign
of Abdoulaye Wade.  “I will rebuild this country with all the population on the
basis of justice,  honesty and make Senegal a new privileged destination. It
will be a country  where everyone will feel like a true Senegalese. But, it
will be necessary to  change mentalities with respect to the money, the
management of the resources of  the State”, he opined. The candidate of Jëf-Jël
Alliance called on his militants  to be calm, to observe the vote under alleviated
conditions, without  violence.

MODOU DIA TALKS ON EDUCATION FOR GIRLS
Modou  Dia, one of the independent candidates, said he would make the regime
regret  their policies by sweeping the polls. Modou Dia, for the presidential
election  of Sunday, said in a statement on TV on Friday that Wade has nothing
to do but  regret if he wins the polls, because the population have seen
enough of the past  policies and unfulfilled promises. He added that action is
what is needed now.  He said the present politicians in power do not have a
program. They failed and  should be sorry”, said Dia.
He said he would inject new blood in the  mutualisation of curricular area,
of health and the habitat so that the poor can  have a share from the entire
national cake. He also vowed to fight the  illiteracy of the girls in rural
communities.

LOUIS JACQUES  SENGHORE OF MLPS
Louis Jacques Senghor the president of the Liberal Movement  for the
Senegalese People (MLPS), nephew of former president Léopold Sédar  Senghor, indicated
that once elected, he intends to give priority to the  resolution of the
problems of the rural area. “We are ready with all the levels.  Nothing will stop
us, because we think that with the goodwill of the Senegalese  people, we will
not have any difficulty”, he confidently asserted. The 54 year  old said MLPS
is a party which militates in favour of a step of rupture as well  in speech
and actions. “This political good-will arises from the sickness of  Senegalese
democracy, from the vain attempts, for decades, to develop this  country.
That is the result of the combined system of the PS and of PDS which  followed
one another”, Senghor stated. According to him, his party intends to  formulate
a true policy of economic and social development by giving the  priority to
the rural world and other areas like energy. “I am for the people”,  he said.

ELECTION DAY IN DAKAR
By Baboucarr Ceesay in  Dakar
The people of Senegal in their large numbers turned out to exercise  their
civic duty to elect a President who will be given a mandate to preside  over the
affairs of the country for another five year term. This reporter has  been
closely monitoring the election process at several polling stations in  Dakar
from Medina to Ouakam. The people seem to have taken the exercise  seriously.
Polling started as early as 6 am and ended at 6 pm.
(See rest of  the story in my next posting)

POETRY CORNER
SONG OF THE RIVER  GAMBIA

Song of The River Gambia
A sanctifying sweet song
Like  that of a flying nightingale
Rendering consciences amplified
Freeing  victims of calumnies
And prejudice of anarchy
Telling about the good  past
Inherent in history
When equality really exists
Human beings were  not greedy
To own a chattel
No slave or master
Imagine when imperialism  was not born
This songs of The River Gambia
Of our time and cline
Warns  against impending convulsion

The Will and Testament
Of great  ancestors
Vouchsafed to the generation
Calling for annihilation of bad  systems
Causing flaws in the terrestrial globe
All over a song  sings
But of The River Gambia
To The Gambia for good

Fight  but first with our hands,
With our mouth – words
And then with our  hearts
To win the long fight for liberation
Join the whole world
As one  people, one heart and one destiny

By Baboucarr  Ceesay@2007

ODE OF EDWARD FRANCIS SMALL
Edward Francis  Small
What an icon for unionists!