From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:29:41 -0500

The following responses may render the issue of wheat in wine non-issues:

From a woodworker on our list:
It's a non-issue, period. No matter what is used as a sealant, it has to
be liquid-proof, otherwise the wine would dissolve it and the barrels
would leak. There are some limited uses for liquid-soluble glues, but
this sure isn't one of them.

Vegetable glues have very limited uses and they're a tiny fraction of
the market. But whatever glue is used, it has to suit the purpose. Just
slapping wheat starch into cracks in wine barrels would be useless,
because plant starch by itself would dissolve in contact with liquid.
Whatever that old-school barrel maker used, it had to have gums, resins,
or some other adhesives added so that it will be inert once it has
dried, in order to keep the barrels sealed. And since it's inert when
dry, it's not a concern. Of course, if even a bit of the starch leached
into the wine, it would contaminate the taste of the wine.
-----------------------------------
Another source said that the wheat paste is applied to the outside of the barrels, not the inside.
---------------------------------
More on reactions:

.... people react to the barrel themselves..the oak use releases
tannins and many people react.  It occurs in red wines.
And others said that sulfites in wine (or used in cleaning the casks) can cause a reaction.
Someone says she buys only organic wines to avoid drinking sulfites. (No additional information.)

(Linda speaking: I react to red wine. My face gets a painful blush. I don't attribute it to celiac. And it looks like I'm not giving up my white wines at this point.)

Thanks to all. If I get any additional, informative responses, I'll post them.

*******
*******