From:
Elaine Korngold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elaine Korngold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 15:35:06 -0700

Original request:  Does anyone have a recommendation for migraine
medicine that cures the headache without side effects? Imitrex
(sumatriptan succinate) and Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan benzoate) cure the
headache, but result in strong nausea. (Advil/Tylenol don't work.)

Recommendations:
1. Mangosteen juice. The first to market and category-creating
mangosteen juice supplement is Xango. For some research, check out
www.tasteyourfreedom.info. For some testimonials, visit
www.mangosteenstories.org and do a search on migraines.

2. MigraStick - purchasable in health food stores. It is peppermint
and lavender.

3. Bellargal Spacetabs (now the generic) without nausea for the past
30 years. If your migraines are frequent, though, Bellargal is to be
used with care, as it is addictive.

4. Stay out of the sun and wear dark glasses. Look up "HOW YEAST
CAUSES HEADACHES AND MIGRAINES" by Bruce Semon MD

5. Inderal, which is a beta blocker developed as a medication for high
blood pressure. However, it prevented migraine very effectively. Went
gluten and casein-free and I helped. The brand name Inderal has been
discontinued, but the generic Propranolal is available.

6. Excedrin Migraine. Add an ice pack to the most painful part of your head.

7. Homeopathic remedy: Migraide. Makes the headache shorter and easier
to handle.

8. Three Advil instead of the recommended 2 works for me. Tylenol PM
at night if I feel one coming on and sometimes that will prevent it.

9. Imitrex nasal spray

10. Relpax.  no side effects for some, sleepiness for others; works
within 20 minutes.

11. Amerge - sometimes it take two doses

12. Self hypnosis.

13. Follow "Eat to Live" plan by Dr Joel Fuhrman (www.drfuhrman.com) -
a very phytonutrient rich, vegan diet that is low on grains.

14. Eat something with Imitrex.

15. Feverfew has been shown in double blind studies to reduce the
occurence of migraines, if taken on a regular basis (does not work as
a reliever). If the cause of  migraine is blood vessel
contraction/dilation issues (feverfew works on that), try drinking a
caffeinated soda or coffee when you get one.

16. Try NOW Butterbur with feverfew. The anti-seizure med, Topamax,
helps but adding the Butterbur did the trick.

17. Zomig plus 2 advil. Zomig is non-generic and expensive. Start with
the Butterbur.

18. Aleve at maximum dose; for four days exactly every time.  Then I
heard about shark cartilage acting as a "decoy" for some people, I
take that after first round of Aleve, then more cartilage every couple
of hours for the first approx. 12 hours, and I only have to have one
other dose of Aleve, and the episodes went from four days exactly to
only 1-1/2 days.  You can read about the research at
www.seagateproducts.com, click on products, then shark fin cartilage,
and it will link you to the research.

19. Inderal LA 60 mg daily for 7 years with about 95% success.

20. Investigate Migraine meds (triptans).Good results with Zomig for
treating headaches when they arise. Also Amerge for headache
prevention 1 tablet twice a day around the time of my periods.  Can
use Anaprox and Fioricet to augment the Zomig. Wintergreen oil or
peppermint oil very helpful to use at the same time...the scent of
these strong oils seem to help ease the pain too. Talk with your
pharmacist to get the names of other Triptans (Axert, Frova,
Relpax...) covered by insurance.
http://headaches.about.com/cs/druginfo/a/triptan_over.htm

22. Hydrocodone

23. Alternative therapies: pg 59-60 in "The Trigger Point Therapy
Workbook" by Clair Davies; .www.wrightnewsletter.com suggests
injections of magnesium.