From:
Darcie French <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darcie French <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:41:34 -0800

Hello!

I am new to the group. I am a 35 (almost 36) y/o married mom.

I was diagnosed by positive blood tests two years ago, as part of trying to
find out why I have (soon to be "had"?) fibromyalgia that began shortly
after the c-section birth of my almost 4 y/o. I didn't take it seriously and
only eliminated what was obviously wheat from my diet (the doc didn't bother
with the challenge and biopsy since the diet helped, coupled with the blood
work results). I lost 30 lbs (I am one of those rare (are we *really* that
rare, or, could celiac be an often overlooked cause of obesity???) celiacs
who was obese and starving to death) almost instantly and felt somewhat
better. Then, I got re-married almost two years ago, ate some wedding cake
and went right off the diet.

I've since *poisoned* myself. I got sicker and sicker, developing
intractable iron deficiency anemia, and my autoimmune symptoms (muscle &
ligament stiffness) got worse and worse. I honestly thought I was dying. I
was up several times at night eating, I couldn't get enough food in me. Then
two weeks ago I was on the overeaters anon website, thinking I needed to
apply the 12 steps to my compulsive eating, and this voice in my head said,
"Darcie, you have to get off the wheat again before anything more can happen
for this body". It was clear as day and I feel like it was God talking to
me. I take this VERY seriously now, it's like I got a second lease on life.

I immediately discontinued ALL glutin I was aware of. A couple of times I
ate something that I didn't know had trace amounts and my stomach blew up
like I was five months pregnant and then I had horrible gas. This validates
for me that I am on the right track.

What's my problem, then, you ask?

I have zero appetite off the glutin, it is like night and day. I literally
feel like I could vomit while I am eating- I choke the food down (and it's
appetizing food, I've been really experimenting with GF). I am not
complaining as I need to lose 40 lbs and I have no doubt I will, BUT, I
don't want to do it so drastically that my poor metabolism shuts down. I
also am well aware of the vitamin and mineral deficiencies that need
correcting.

Is anyone else an obese celiac who experienced this when discontinuing
glutin, if so, how did you handle it? I'd also love to hear any thoughts on
obesity and celiac in general.

Thanks a bunch in advance,
Darcie