From:
gene bialek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
gene bialek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:05:12 -0500

On Feb 14, 2007 I posted the following on the List:

        "How long after ingesting gluten does a Celiac victim realize he has
made a
mistake ?  Is it a matter of minutes or hours or day ?

Would appreciate any comments on this subject."
---------------------------------------------------------SUMMARY----------------------------------------

I received 57 responses to my question, 52 of which  contained times of
reaction to gluten ingestion.  I divided the responses into groups of 12
with the results listed below.

    About 30 min. = 12 = 25%
    About  1 hour =    9 = 17%
    About 2 hours =   6 = 12%
    About 3 hours =   1 = 2%
    About 4 hours =   3 = 6%
    About 6 hours =   2 = 4%
    About 8 hours =   1 = 2%
    About 12 hours = 2 = 4%
    Morning after =     2 = 4%
    About 1 day =       6 = 12%
    About 2 days =     2 = 2%

In addition to the above responses I received 5 comments paraphrased as
follows:

Minutes to Days
1 to 8 hours
1 to 12 hours
1 to 4 days
 7 days

A large percentage of the responses listed symptoms experienced during the
gluten event, however these comments are much too varied to list.  If
another survey type question is posed to the list I suggest that if be done
with a more structured format where the results are more amenable to
analysis - i.e. where the respondent have a choice of answers.

Thanks to all 57 of you who took the time and made the effort to answer my
inquiry.  Its appreciated !

To those of you who objected to my use of the terms "victim" and "mistake" I
promise not to use them again in this context.

Gene