From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:21:40 -0500

Thanks to all who responded. You were most kind and supportive.

Most said they have no reaction. A small number said they've reacted and had to give it up. Reactions were varied...from heartburn to loose bowel movements. (It gives me heartburn.)

A couple recommended Earth Balance instead...from healthfood stores.

One said that some Smart Balance products say gluten-free and some don't. (I emailed the company for a gf list and clarification. I'll post the response when it comes in. The product I buy says gluten-free, but we all know that the term "gluten-free" is up to interpretation.)

One told me to read the label. (Different Smart Balance products have different ingredients.) Most who talked about ingredients suggested that dairy, canola oil, soy, etc. or a combination thereof, could be the culprit.
(I generally don't react to any of those.  Maybe the combination does have an effect. It's a thought.)

And one said it was the artificial ingredients that were "poisoning" me...her term. (I directed her to the website for the Feingold Diet, which is predicated upon not eating artificial colorings, preservatives and flavorings. When I was raising my family, we were all on the Feingold Diet. Now that we're empty-nesters, I'm not as strict, but I do believe that artificial additives are not good for us. FYI: The Feingold Diet has nothing to do with celiac. Google it for more information.)

Thanks again. Lin