From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:17:07 -0400

These are two more responses from our listserv.
Consider two things:
1. We may be asking the questions differently and thus getting different responses.
2. We may be witnessing a breakdown in Hershey's customer service...whose standard response is, "Read the label."

My reaction to the first paragraph below....if it is true that Hershey's is using a flour product on their conveyor belt and not declaring wheat on the label....they are now in violation of the food labeling law. Makes you wonder.

Here are the two newest ones:

...When I contacted Hershey's I was told that the conveyor belt used in manufacturing the minis is sprayed with a substance that contains flour so they can be removed from the belt without breaking them, so ther for they are not GF according to the rep I spoke with a couple of months ago.

....Just spoke to Hershey's Friday.  There is no GF list anymore.  I was told only wheat in natural flavors (for example) would be declared on the label.  Rye, Barley are not declarable allergens.
When I mentioned that regular Reeses are on many GF lists, I was told that is information that others have believed from the ingredients.  There is no guarantee that barley or rye (not likely) are in these.
There is a new Reeses flavor (fudge flavor) that lists natural flavoring....while wheat is not in these, it is altogether possible other gluten containing ingredients might be.

*******
*******