From:
ca matlock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ca matlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 17:57:14 -0700

I asked experience and advice about purchasing a grain mill. Thank you all for such good and informative advice. I understand better my options.

 The general consensus seems to be that if you bake a lot and therefore will need a lot of flour, buy a grain mill specifically for this. If you just want a small bit of grain flour, one person said you can use a electric coffee grinder, and another person said do =not= use a coffee grinder for grains.  Two people said for small amounts you can use a blender, but it will not be really fine-ground.

An electric coffee grinder was mentioned by 4 people for small amounts of flour from nuts and seeds and flax.

Grain mills recommended--several people loved their K-tec mills (very good mill but very loud; people who use this use it outside or in the garage). Several people really liked their Whisper Mill, and one person told me that Whisper Mill is now being sold under the name of Wonder Mill. Magic Mill was mentioned as an older, very good brand.

A site for info and comparison of mills:  http://waltonfeed.com/self/grinders.html

A site for more info and discussion: http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=59739.3

Thank you all so much!
CurtissAnn