From:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:23:09 -0500

I just read 'Kitchen Chem 101' and the home experiment with roux.  When
experimenting with cornstarch, the results were--

"Cornstarch...It browned but was very lumpy.  I mashed it out and
added 1 cup water , boiled it to get rid of the lumps and it doesn't
not thicken.  But I could use it then thicken with something else
before serving."

I think the problem may have been the 'boiling to get rid of lumps'.
Boiling may add to the lump problem.

I have found that cornstarch works very well.  It browns nicely, just like
wheat flour.  If you add the liquid slowly, stirring with a whisk instead of
a spoon, there should be no lumps.  Keep the heat on medium (barely simmer
rather than boil the mixture)-- It may take a bit longer to thicken this
way, but the result will be a smooth, thickened roux.  Stir constantly with
the whisk until mixture thickens to prevent lumps and sticking on the bottom
of the pan.

Connie