From:
"Ellen S." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:01:23 -0500

Big Y Supermarkets (in Connecticut) have Point-of-Sale signs on the
shelves under various items throughout the store (i.e. soups, pickles,
etc.) stating "gluten free". I went to the courtesy desk to request any
information about these items and how the company compiled this list of
products that they were promoting as gluten free. Unfortunately, no
brochure or other information was available (at the time I asked, a few
weeks ago)to explain the source of the gluten free claims and the
standards/procedures for the claims. I have not contacted the company
for more information.

Has anyone contacted Big Y Supermarkets to obtain information about
these Point-of-Sale signs and the basis for these signs? As we know,
there is currently no regulatory definition of "gluten free" in the
U.S., and, to quote the owners of this list in their new-subscriber
information, "As a member of this List you find a considerable
difference of opinion of what is and what is not Gluten-Free."

Many thanks!

--

--

*******