THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david binotto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 22:33:50 +1000
Cherise,
We are from Melbourne, Australia ( u were wondering) and I have had a devil
of a time getting a diagnoses for Linda. You asked for her symptoms; apart
from the fatigue in her neck and head she has double/blurred vision, dry
skin/hair, a constant tremor in her left hand and an intolerance to the cold
weather . We have been to TWO heads of Endocrinology dept.'s here in
Melbourne and both did not even want to know what she was complaining of and
suggested psych friends of theirs to help out. All scans show a diffusely
enlarged thyroid consistent with a multi-nodular goiter but, as we were
told, this is very common with women. They said it was unlikely she should
be suffering from anything. As I mentioned before her anti-thyroid
micro-somals tests all were high BUT the thing that stopped her from having
Hashimoto's was her TSH levels being normal; (5.13). So now you see were we
are at. I believe there are doc's who will diagnose
such conditions on these figures alone but we are yet to find one. Given our
experiences to date I think the Endo's we have seen all came from the same
school and were taught by the same teacher from the same book. They have
been all men that have
seen Linda and I know this is a condition that afflicts more women than men
which, I
believe, plays a part in their understanding of what she has. They are
writing her off before they know the story. This is the frustrating part.

Our thoughts are with you and we hope things work out with your father.

David Binotto.