From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:50:02 -0700
You are better off buying all new computers. The cost will actually be
cheaper, especially factoring in the labor cost, and you will have
warranties on the entire machines rather than individual components. As
long as you do not have a high tech use for the computers, you should be
able to buy new for $500 or less. If you need more powerful machines,
the cost could be in the $1,000 neighborhood or higher. Also, if you buy
new, you can get all one brand. Be aware that some entry level computers
come with space for only one hard drive. You may want to install the old
hard drives as second hard drives in each new computer to facilitate
data transfer and will need a second bay.

The hardest part for your company will be transferring data from the old
computers to the new computers. There are several ways to do that.

If/when you decide to purchase, you can  post information on the
purposed uses for the computers and what computer configuration(s) you
are considering. The members can than offer their comments.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

Chuck Kent wrote:
> Where I work, we have about 30 old micron PC's, some old compaq's, and a couple of HP Compaq Presatio 310?.  I was wondering if it is worth the effort to upgrade the otherboards in these systems, in doing so, upgradeing the rest of the hardware.  If it is worth the time and effort to do that, can any type of motherboard work or do I need to look for specific types?
>
>               The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                      support at our newest website:

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads