Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2007 15:06:13 -0800
I don't know.  This would take a rather more sophisticated analysis than I could offer.  But I think that it is interesting that one of the reasons offered against a paleo diet is that it would be too damaging to the environment.  See paleodiet on wikipedia for example.

  While I believe that the desire to produce more calories on smaller amounts of land and constantly produce enough calories to drive down the price of food (witness the extreme decline in food costs since the 1970s in constant dollars), ironically, it may be that creating the opposite dynamic - improving food such that costs rise and food becomes more expensive relative to other standard of living measurments - that might save the earth.  For example - valuing (and therefore paying) more foods like wild fish may allow their habitat to be protected as the economic model exists to sustain that use.

  My primary issue with people like vegans and vegetarians is that they treat diet like religion rather than science (as do some of the paleos).  And the vegans lie - oftentimes their materials designed for the least informed (children and teens) promote veganism as the "natural" diet.

  Needless to say, there is nothing "natural" about veganism.

  gale

Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Hi

There's something I read a while that I would like to validate. No
idea WHERE I read it - suggestions welcome.

Basically: farming (especially grains), destroys a lot of the habitat
of wild animals, and therefore vegetarianism is responsible for the
death of more animals than hunting/husbandry. I believe the specific
example was the north american plains, that were once teeming with
buffalo, and are now effectively wastelands.

A few questions:

Is this true?

Does anyone have anything to support it? (books, websites, etc)

Has anyone ever mentioned it to a vegetarian?

Thanks
Ashley