From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:00:49 -0700
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:35:43 -0700, Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have read in several books and support groups to avoid meats with
> nitrates
> such as bacon, ham, etc.  Recently while shopping at our local farmers
> market, there was a vendor selling homemade sausages.  Some of his
> sausage
> did not contain nitrates (a chicken/apple) but when I asked him if his
> pork
> sausage had nitrates he said said.  I told him I wanted to avoid eating
> meats with nitrates and he pointed to my bag of fresh green beans and
> said
> that they also contained nitrates.  So I am somewhat confused.  I tried
> google some information but didn't get an understanding.
Nitrates are very common in the environment.  What you really mean is
nitrites, such as sodium nitrite.  Nitrites can break down to nitrosamines
which are carcinogenic.  That's what is often added to processed meats, and
it's good stuff to avoid.

Try this Wiki:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrite

	Lynnet