From:
Wayne Wynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 14:12:24 -0800
To expand on something I said in an earlier post, I think cravings are
partly from something we need and partly from addictions to "civilised"
foods and chemicals. So, if I crave something, a small amount is best.
The taste part of the craving is mostly satisfied but the gut doesn't
have to process too much crap. Too often in the past I have had my
"fill" of a craving and my gut made me pay dearly.

If I want French fries. e.g., (can't remember the last time, though) , I
would consider quality and freshness of the potatos, the oil and how
long it may have been in the cooker, and I would order without salt. If
I wanted salt bad enough, I would carry sea salt with me and use it
sparingly.

I make my choices "towards" paleo, but I don't try to be perfect. For
example, at a Greek restaurant I frequent, I can get the meat and just
Greek salad without the feta so that is what I order most of the time
when I'm there. If I feel like potato or rice, I have a small amount.
Rarely any pita and then only a tiny amount.

I also try to get plain food and avoid sauces; e.g., no "goo" on a bun
or sandwich or no dressing on a salad unless it is just pure oil. To
help avoid processed foods, I think of the original sources, the
processing steps and what is on the label, and consider what might be in
the food but not on the label. I also use substitutions. E.g., sometimes
I turn to raw food books for salad dressings. Put a few items in a high
speed blender and you can have an incredible healthy, tasteful, fresh,
organic dressing. Depending on the ingredients, you can guzzle it and it
won't hurt you.

Even if I could I doubt I would stick to paleo 100%. I think tiny
amounts of a wide variety of non-paleo foods may do more good than harm.
But, I'll let the experts butt heads on that one! :-)

Just my 2-cents. No expert commentary here.

Wayne Wynn
Burnaby, BC