Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:43:15 -0800
Hi All,

  I am new to this list. I am not aware of any posting rules and this post is a bit off topic.

  I have started the paleo diet one week ago just from reading some online information. Last week I had a paleo breakfast everyday (fruits and nuts mostly). This week I am starting to introduce paleo lunches. I made a big vat of ground pork and sliced up tomatoes, onions, broccoli and put the pork on top of it.

  Does anyone have suggestions on following this diet? Any tips from their conversion to paleo days?

  Thanks!

  Dan

Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:47:43 -0600, =?windows-1252?Q?Philip?=
wrote:

> It certainly appears that way. Additionally, within 20 years or so I
> think
> that many of the Paleo foods will become too expensive for us here as
> well. Already I have cut back on tree nuts as they have become much more
> expensive in my area than they were a couple of years ago. The demand for
> some Paleo foods like tree nuts and flaxseed oil has grown even among
> people who know nothing of the Paleo diet because the Paleo foods are the
> healthiest foods and studies demonstrating their health benefits push up
> demand.

There's one thing that isn't mentioned, though, and which I doubt most
studies of the subject take into account. As demand for a commodity
increases, price increases. As price increases, new producers and new
sources of production will appear to help meet demand. The higher prices
are a catalyst to greater production. It is also possible to produce your
own food, or at least a lot of it, even if you don't have a big ranch to
do it on. I have been treading this path myself, and it's neither
difficult nor expensive. Plant some fruit and nut trees, start a garden,
build a small greenhouse, get a small flock of chickens going, and you've
got a good jump on a great diet, which will not require a lot of money to
maintain.

> We think we are OK because we have enough money now, but will
> we or our children or grandchildren have enough in 20 or 50 years?

My children will know how to feed themselves without depending on the
supermarket. It's a bit or work, sure, but in these time, that's hardly a
bad thing.

--
Robert Kesterson