VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 21:53:23 -0400
Hi Don:

Paul Schmidt is correct; the "m dash" is an extended dash which can be
generated in Microsoft Word by following the instructions set forth below.
These instructions presuppose the use of JAWS and were written when I had
occasion to do this in word 2003, but I believe it works the same way with
word xp.

Here are instructions which will enable you to assign a key combination for
generating the "m dash" character.

From within Microsoft word:

1. Press Alt + "T" for tools; then "C" for customize.

2. You should hear: "commands page; categories; list box; file. Tab four
times to keyboard; press enter.

3. Press "control + end" for common symbols.

4. Tab once; you should hear "common symbols; list box."

5. Press "control + home." From this point, press the down arrow key to make
your selection. It will be necessary to press the "insert numpad 8"
combination after each press of the down arrow key to hear your selection
since the selection is not voiced automatically with JAWS.

6. After finding the symbol you want, (And I believe the "m dash" is the
first one you'll hear), tab twice; you should hear: "press new shortcut key;
edit." Press your desired key combination. Press "insert numpad 8" to verify
that you have entered your desired key combination correctly.

7. Tab once to "assign button"; press enter.

8. Tab to close; press enter; tab to close again; press enter.

9. Put a fork in it; you're done.

HTH!

John