VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:46:18 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tony
Grima
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 11:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: NBP-Announce: Free Online Workshop: Adaptive Technology for Kids

Hello,

We at NBP want you to become familiar with the types of adaptive
equipment currently available for young blind kids - and how to get it
for your child.

To this end, we've contracted with the Carroll Center for the Blind -
and their state-of-the-art, Web-based learning center - to create a free
online seminar on this topic. All you need is a computer; a connection
to the Internet; and a brief lesson from us on how to download and
install some free software.

Our first seminar will focus on braille input and output devices, like
notetakers. We will tell you what's out there on the market today; how
much devices cost and how they compare; and we'll even discuss some
options for funding them.

Our first at-home session will take place: April 26, 2007, from
8:00-9:30 p.m. EST.

Here's how you can join in:

1. First, before Thursday, April 26, you will need to download and
install some free software, which takes less than 15 minutes;
2. If you feel comfortable doing this yourself, simply go to
www.carrolltech.org to download and install it;
3. If you have never done this before, give us a call (see below) and
we'll walk you through it;
4. On the designated day and time, you will return to
www.carrolltech.org and click on the "NBP conference" link, and we'll
see you there!

We are happy to assist any first-time users; send an email to
[log in to unmask] or call toll-free 888.965.8965 ext 34 (you can leave a
voicemail message). Amy will take you through the software download
process and answer any other questions you might have.

For those of you who have never participated in an online seminar,
here's what happens. After you "sign on" by clicking on the NBP link,
you will both hear the presenters through your computer speakers and see
them on your computer screen. It's like sitting in a classroom,
listening to and watching a lecture. If you wish to "raise your hand" to
ask questions, you will need one additional component: a headset with a
mike. Or you can type in your questions from your keyboard, if you
prefer that.

This seminar costs you nothing, thanks to the generosity of the Mellon
Charitable Giving Program/Alice P. Chase Trust and our friends at the
Carroll Center for the Blind. We have several more seminars planned, so
why not get set up right now? And, please don't hesitate to email or
call if you have any questions. We want you to participate!