NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susie Boniol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:21:32 -0700
These kids and the stress you can cause even before they are born.  The ped gastro said it only takes 3 wks for milk protein to clear your system and that mpa has something to do with the enzyme at time of birth so if it is not present in my system at that time then he should not form an allergy to it.  My husband is a doc and he said hes not sure if it make sense to him but i am willing to try anything.  i am so sorry that you have one still with it.   we were lucky enough to outgrow it young.  thanks for the advice and for taking the time to help.  SUsie

"R. Pellerin" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Boy, how stressful for you.

All I can say is this: I didn't avoid dairy for both pregnancies and #1 was
allergic to milk protein (still is) and #2 is clearly not (she just drank a
cupfull). So...I know I have read in the past to avoid, or rather to reduce
the risk of allergies, to avoid the allergen when pregnant but I don't
believe that is any guarantee.

You are due in three to five weeks and just stopped dairy only three weeks
ago? I am not a doctor but I bet that if avoiding dairy was going to reduce
the chances, I would have started much earlier in the pregnancy.

It is too bad you cannot breastfeed...have you consulted with lactation
consultants? La Leche League?

I think the doctor is correct...try the milk based formula. The baby needs
to be exposed to the possible allergen to know if the allergy is there.

Sorry I can't help more.

On 3/11/07, Susie Boniol wrote:

> My name is Susie Boniol and I am in desperate need of any information
> anyone may have on the prevention of MPA in newborns. I am 35 weeks preggo
> with baby #3 and in an attempt to possibly avoid MPA I have eliminated all
> (or at least I thought all) Milk Protein from my diet and have been Milk
> Free for about 3 weeks. Baby #2 had SEVERE MPA which took 6 weeks to
> diagnose and I will do whatever it takes to avoid having a baby that sick
> again. We lived in Mobile, AL at the time and the ped gastro was very
> helpful once he was diagnosed and on Neocate. At 11 months he was able to
> tolerate Alimentum and now at 2.5 he eats a normal diet with the exception
> of drinking milk (I have tried but he won't touch the stuff). The ped
> gastro in Mobile, AL prepared me for the grim outlook of future babies and
> the high risk of them having the allergy as well. The ped gastro in
> Shreveport, LA says the chances are slim since baby #1 had no problems at
> all. He also says that when this baby
> is born to just put him on normal milk based formula to see if the allergy
> is even there. This is truly scarey to me and as the weeks pass my anxiety
> is rising. and rising... and rising.... HELP. I can not breast feed due to
> previous surgery and I truly tried 110% with #1 and 2. My only hope at this
> point is formula and I am just curious which one will offer him the best
> chances at a healthy tummy when born. Also, to what extreme do I need to
> eliminate Milk Protein from my diet while pregnant and will this even
> possibly work??? I truly do appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank
> you so much. Susie

> Don't pick lemons.

It's here! Your new message!