Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 08:40:48 -0500
7bit
From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
-----Original Message-----
Date:    Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:41:10 -0800
From:    Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Video capture

I am stumped. Can someone give me a hint or direct me to a support site that
might help? I have a Gigabyte video card that uses an ATI X600 processor. It
includes video capture capability. When I try to capture video, the output
file records only the first half second or so of the video and then keeps
repeating the same half second over and over for the full duration of the
recording. The video input is displayed normally on the screen; it is only
the recorded output file that has the problem.

It would seem to me that the problem is likely in the WDM drivers, but I
tried older drivers, newer drivers, and some in between. Also, different
codecs don't seem to make any difference - the result is always the same. At
one time, I was able to record the video, but this problem would crop up
intermittently. Now it is stuck! I even tried to reinstall Windows XP, but
that did not seem to do the trick. Could it possibly he hardware failure? I
don't suspect hardware, however, since the input video stream does get
displayed correctly - just does not record to file!

Thank you for any help on this. I am about to get new hardware but would
still like to figure this one out first. Hardware recommendations would also
be welcome. I need a PCIE board that would fit in my Shuttle SD31P computer.

Peter
----------------------------------
Peter, I didn't see a response to your problem, so I'll try and help. A
couple of questions first;
1. Could you be a little more specific with the model number of your card?
I've tried looking at Gigabytes website to determine what type card you have
(I'm guessing it's a PCIE card).
2. You say you have video capture ability. Is it a VIVO card? Is the input
through a coax connector, or through the s-video connex?
3. What is the video capture program? Is it the one bundled with the ATI
drivers, or another stand alone program?
4. Do you have DMA enabled on the hard drive(s)?

My experience with video capture is less than extensive, but what I know
about the video capture cards (VIVO) has a separate tuner built on the card
with two coax connex where a TV signal is processed and where an additional
video signal can be input. I'm fairly certain the s-video connex is an
output only. I have a separate video capture device made by ATI that is
external and uses the USB 2.0 ports to capture video from either s-video
cable or rca jacks. My x800 board only has output plugs (vga, dvi and
s-video). I know ATI makes video capture boards (with the coax connex), but
I couldn't find one on the Gigabyte website (hence my confusion)

I even saw a reference on the website that said NOT to install the WDM
drivers and suggested removal through add/remove programs for them!

On another side, your Shuttle PC is a small form factor and it states that
the mobo is proprietary (FD31). It's a nice setup, but I don't see an
aftermarket board for that type of design. Rather than ditching your current
setup might I suggest the ATI USB tv tuner? It's an external device, self
powered, non hardware specific (to an extent) and uses a USB 2.0 port. Video
delay is imperceptable (for TV viewing), it has multiple video capture
source capabilities and works well with ATI boards (I have used with three
different manufactured ATI boards).

Chris Ryan

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads