From:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:12:22 -0500

I am writing in response to Ms. Hneich, asking for input from people
who "are already diagnosed with celiac disease."  However, my message
is meant for the broader audience of researchers -- especially those
who look to members of this list to participate in surveys.

I always wonder about these surveys that require that one be
diagnosed with CD, either through blood test or biopsy -- because I
think such surveys exclude a large population that basically cannot
be diagnosed.

This is true for me.  I stopped eating gluten 5 years ago, without
understanding about CD, and now would be made too ill to be tested.
Most of my doctors agree that I probably CD (and support my decision
not to do a gluten challenge), as my symptom array is actually more
substantial than many people who have been diagnosed.  My life is
lived in the same way as anybody else who suffers from CD, and I live
with the same challenges.  And, just as anyone else would, I want my
voice to be heard.

In any case, I never understand why surveys do not include this group
of people, as I expect we are rather large in number.  If you were to
ask a question that included something like "I have been
symptomatically diagnosed by a physician," along with "I think I
might have celiac disease and I follow a strict GF diet."  Thus,
"our" answers could be included.

In analysis, one could always tabulate those who come under those
categories separately from others who have had medical diagnoses.  It
would give you a much more substantial database and also might reveal
some surprising answers you might not have expected!  Especially, if
you are doing surveys via the internet -- it doesn't cost you any
more to include these additional people, as it might if you were
recruiting survey participants in any other way.

Thanks for listening, and I hope some of you out there might give
consideration to this issue.