From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:21:25 -0500

Good morning -

If you have CD and Type 1 diabetes I urge you to write to Diabetes
Forecast Magazine. The February 2007 issue (just arrived) has a letter
from a reader in the Mail Call section.  (I did not write the letter and
I do not have diabetes. ) Please write letters that are informative and
educational. Certainly include your person experiences with you or a
family members has Type 1 and CD.
In my email I mentioned the atypical presentation in the U.S. as well as
a good amount of research that does indicate the prevalence of both
diseases in the U.S. Even the 2004 NIH Consensus Statement on CD
mentions it.

Text of letter
"I have had type 1 diabetes for 26 years. I was recently diagnosed with
celiac disease. It is an autoimmune disease of the small intestine. Even
though 1 out of 133 people have the disease, it is frequently not
diagnosed or misdiagnosed. It is not unusual for people with another
autoimmune disease, such as diabetes, to have celiac disease.
I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but I would like to suggest that you
ask your doctor about being tested for celiac disease if you are having
any gastrointestinal problems. The initial diagnosis can be made with a
simple blood test. Additional tests may be required to confirm the
diagnosis. -P. Kinney, Austin Texas"

The reply:
"Ronald P. Monsaert, MD, FACP, FACE, responds: Celiac disease is more
common in people with type 1 diabetes. In fact, studies of patients in
Europe have suggested that as many as 8 to 12 percent of people there
have type 1 also have celiac disease. The disease is less common in
North America, and we don't know exactly how many Americans with type 1
have it. But studies are under way now.
At this time there are no recommendations for routine screening for
celiac disease. However, I am inclined to test my patients if they
unexplained diarrhea, weight loss, bloating, cramping, low bone density,
or other suggestive symptoms. If you have similar symptoms, talk with
your doctor."

Or
Mail Call
Diabetes Forecast