ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 09:57:15 -0700
Carol,

I think the favorible things I mentioned about Joyce speaks for itself.  It
still stands that people don't need to by her tapes to be successful and I
probably own more of her tapes than anyone on this list.  I just think she
accidently talked herself into a corner on this one is all.  If she can't
accept criticism, she shouldn't be in the ministry.  I've heard Joyce say
some incredibly boastful things about how she has made it in the ministry in
spite of what others said about her.  Ego is ego no matter how big of
ministry you think you have.  God can remove anybodyd from where they think
they are in a second.  Regardless, I admire Joyce greatly and always have.
She was a smoker when she first started teaching the Bible.  She has had
breast cancer and a mastectomy and has publicly taught on it relating to why
she wasn't healed when she has prayed for many other women were were.  That
takes brass.  She was also suicidal back then so, yes, she knows a lot about
what it is like.  I have way more good to say about Joyce than bad but you
know as well as I do that buying Joyce's tapes isn't the answer to financial
problems or anything else.  By the way, when I traveled and preached
meetings in churches, I never sold my tapes.  I told people what they cost
me and if they could pay that, fine.  If they couldn't, I told them just to
come and tell me and they could have whatever they wanted.  I won't market
the Gospel no matter how much money I have, or don't have.  I know how much
tapes cost, I know what is involved in high speed duplicating them, and how
much labor is involved in producing them.  When you buy in bulk and when you
mass produce, if you spend 50 cents a tape, you are spending too much.  You
don't have to agree with everything someone famous teaches to be blessed.  I
have been blessed by Joyce's teaching hundreds of times.  What she taught
the other day, even if she tried to make it sound funny, was irresponsible.
That doesn't mean we shouldn't listen to her and it doesn't mean she is a
heretic but it does mean we should be discerning no matter who is teaching.
That's all I meant.  I have had people question what I believe all my life.
Nobody has to agree with me except when it comes to being born again.
Otherwise, I could care less if people agree with me or not.  I don't
believe, however, I have to be considered successful by the Lord by making
millions and preaching to 20,000 people in an auditorium all at the same
time.  Those are not the qualifications for success as far as God is
concerned.

Phil.