From:
Kimberlee Tandy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kimberlee Tandy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:12:56 -0500

I wrote the John Morell company asking about their gluten free ingredients.  Here is what they said...

Thank you for taking the time and interest to inquire about the ingredients of our John Morrell products. We place a special value on questions such as yours.  A list of ingredients appears on every package label; ingredients are listed in descending order of amount used.  Of course, no ingredient can be used in any amount without prior approval of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA.)

Based on information and assurances that we have obtained from companies who supply the ingredients we use in our products, most John Morrell Products are made with ingredients that do not contain gluten.  We do recommend that you base your decision on the ingredient statements and your personal experience.  We do suggest you continue to read the ingredient statements carefully at the time you purchase the product in that the formulations can change at anytime. Of the 4000+ items Morrell produces only several contain wheat. This is labeled in the ingredient text on the chorizo, teriyaki seasoned pork, glaze packets on the hams and precooked entrée meals. All other products are gluten free.

Thank you again for your interest and the compliment you pay us by using our products.  Quality and consumer satisfaction are important to us.  We hope that you will continue to enjoy our meats.