From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:37:14 -0600
I have used Raptors for some time now, and will offer my two cents
worth.

I have found that in Morrowind there is a place where you have to pause
for a moment while data is loaded from the disk. For a while I was using
two 36GB Raptors in a RAID configuration, and the pause was
significantly shortened over the older drive that I had been using.
Then I moved to a single 75GB drive, and found that the pause time was
about the same as the raid drives, so there was a significant
improvement.  I am now using a 150GB drive, but have not had anything to
compare it to recently.  (I quit using the two single drives in raid
configuration because I was concerned about reliability.)

I suspect that any program that uses a lot of data will benefit from the
increased average transfer times that a Raptor will offer.  A large disk
cache is also useful.

I am not sure about your question about the price, but an oem drive from
NewEgg is MUCH less expensive than a retail drive from CompUSA!  (same
drive)  In my experience, I have found WD drives to be somewhat
unreliable, so it is possible that being able to easily return a faulty
drive to the store may be worth some premium in price.

I don't need a lot of disk space for what I do (mainly games and email,
with some music and digital pictures), so the smaller Raptor drives with
superior performance suit my needs very well.  And, their noise is not
that bad, at least compared to the noisy video card.

Dean Kukral