From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:37:00 -0500
JK Gatto wrote:

>Between then and now, I've tried many "tweaks" of paleo, and non-paleo
>lowcarb, What I'm doing now is LCIF (lowcarb intermittent fasting), i.e., I'm
>eating one large meal a day, consisting of plenty of fatty meat,
>
>  Todd, I'd bet the farm that your system doesn't like sat fat.  Oliva

We'll see.  When I got that blood test in 1997, I had lost 36 pounds in
a few months *and* increased my intake of SFA.  In the process I was
flooding my system with SFA, since human body fat, like the fat of
fattened cattle, is about half saturated.  So as I was releasing stored
body fat and eating lots of fatty meat, and since SFA downregulates the
liver's LDL receptors, it wasn't exactly shocking that my LDL went up.
But it was only 6 months between blood tests, and  heavier consumption
of SFA (paleo) was only a part of that six months.  What I didn't know
then was that many people experience a *temporary* surge in LDL when
they start eating more fatty meats, but over time it tends to return to
where it started, or even lower.  This is something that most clinical
studies don't document, since they tend to be fairly short duration.
But a few, such as Wolfgang Lutz, followed their patients for a longer
period and saw LDL go back down, as HDL crept up.

In fact, 9 or so months later, still on the paleo diet, I was tested
again.  I don't have all the numbers in my head, but I remember my total
cholesterol had dropped to about 250 (from that high of 302) and my HDL
had inched up a bit more, to 48.  My TG stayed under 100, and may have
dropped a bit more.

Even my last set of numbers, from last fall, showed a continued rise in
HDL, with little increase in total cholesterol.

Regardless of whether you think LDL has any medical significance, it's
interesting to monitor it and to see how my body reacts to changes in
diet.  From what I've been reading, the lowcarb intermittent fasting
approach should improve my insulin sensitivity faster than paleo or
lowcarb alone would do, and it'll be interesting to see how that affects
blood lipids.

Todd Moody