Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:13:42 -0500
MODERN FOODS AN UNDERLYING FACTOR IN THE MOLECULAR MIMICRY OF AUTOIMMUNE
DISEASES?

This is the topic in Paleolithic nutrition that I currently find most
interesting. Molecular mimicry has been hypothesized as an underlying factor
in all autoimmune diseases and Ray Audette has hypothesized that all the
diseases and disorders of civilization have an autoimmune component.

In trying to understand why people who eat modern foods develop chronic
autoimmune diseases like MS, polycystic ovary disease, celiac disease and
Grave's disease at much higher rates than people who eat a Paleolithic-type
diet, I noticed many connections that I wonder if anyone else has noticed. I
developed a hypothesis based on these connections some time ago that I would
like to share now. I would appreciate people's input on this.

Gluten ingestion (in combination with genetic potential) has been clearly
established as the main underlying cause of celiac disease, an autoimmune
disease. It may be that many other autoimmune illnesses have modern food
ingestion as an underlying cause or factor.

HYPOTHESIS: gluten and other modern food proteins can trigger the human
immune system to attack hair-like epithelial cells, smooth muscle cells
(SMA) and mitochondria in the body that are similar in structure to the
protein cells of bacteria and viruses, and therefore mistaken as invaders
through a process known as molecular mimicry. (I will focus on hair-like
cells and gluten.)

THE HUMAN BODY CONTAINS MANY HAIR-LIKE CELLS

The human body contains multiple types of hair-like cells in the body that
gluten (and possibly casein, lectin and other modern food protein) ingestion
can trigger the immune system to damage. It may be that the presence of
antigens such as bacteria or viruses at the same time is required for
molecular mimicry to occur, or it may be that this just adds to the
phenomenon. The hair-like cell is one of the oldest and most common cell
types in nature.

HAIRLIKE CELLS CONTAIN FIBROUS PROTEINS

All hair-like cells contain one or more of various fibrous proteins, such as
myelin, tubulin, kinase proteins, mRNA, microtubule associated proteins
(MAPs), and thyroglobulin.

WHEAT GLUTEN IS A FIBROUS PROTEIN (HAIR-LIKE)

Gluten is a fibrous protein made from cystine that gives wheat dough its
elasticity. Both wheat and some human cells also contain keratin. Keratin is
a fibrous protein that is higher in cystine than gluten (16% of keratin is
cystine). Keratin makes human hair curly or straight and tortoise shell
hard. Human and wheat keratin contain Messenger Ribonucleic Acid (mRNA) that
carry genetic information from DNA to sites of protein synthesis.

BACTERIA AND SOME VIRUSES CONTAIN FIBROUS PROTEIN (HAIR-LIKE) STRUCTURES

Bacteria and influenza viruses contain fibrous protein (hair-like)
structures on their surfaces that are used to attach to human cells. It may
be that the antibody response to gluten and other food proteins is a result
of evolutionary adaptation of the human immune system to defend against
bacteria and viruses.

> Bacteria have hair-like fimbriae (pili)

Fimbriae are usually involved in attachment of bacterial cells to host cell
surfaces. They also allow pathogenic bacteria to resist attack by white
blood cells. Fimbriae are also antigenic and will trigger secretory
antibodies (IgA) and circulating antibodies (IgG or IgM).

> Some viruses (such as the influenza viruses) have hair-like peplomers
> (spikes)

Peplomers are composed of viral glycoproteins that can be coded for
functions of receptor recognition, binding and membrane fusion activities.
Viral infections can trigger a variety of autoimmune and neurodegenerative
diseases. [Michael J. Buchmeier,
http://www.scripps.edu/research/faculty.php?tsri_id=1983, Professor,
Department of Neuropharmacology, The Scripps Research Institute]

With the human coronaviruses 229E and OC43, "the most prevalent human
antibodies were found to be directed against virion peplomers." [Antigenic
characterization of human coronaviruses 229E and OC43 by enzyme-linked
immunosorbent assay. O W Schmidt, J Clin Microbiol. 1984 August; 20(2):
175180.]

SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH IS MAKING CONNECTIONS BETWEEN GLUTEN FOODS AND DAMAGE TO
FIBROUS PROTEIN CELLS IN HUMANS

"Wheat, rye, barley, and perhaps oats are problematical for individuals with
celiac disease. Wheat seems to be associated with many auto-immune
diseases." -Loren Cordain

Current research seems to be leading in the direction that damage to the
bodies of gluten-sensitive people from ingesting gluten foods (and other
proteins not recognized by the immune system, like casein from cow's milk)
can result in damage to the hair-like cells (called cilia) in the bronchial
tubes, sinuses and fallopian tubes, and wilting damage or breakage and death
to the hair cells in the inner ear, as well as damage to scalp and body
hair, just as it can matt down, damage or destroy the hair-like cells in the
intestine, called villi. The connection between gluten and villi damage is
becoming more widely known and better understood, but the connection to
cilia damage appears to still be little recognized. The scientists
conducting studies that find damage from gluten ingestion and autoimmune
disease on certain fibrous cells in the human body seem to be unaware of the
parallel discoveries that other scientists are making.

Examples of hairlike human cell proteins that may be mistakenly targeted in
autoimmune reactions:

1) Cell Name
2) Location
3) Protein(s) targeted
4) Damage Caused
5) Possible Resulting Diseases

1) Axons and dendrites (hairlike cytoplasmic cell extensions)
2) Brain and neural system
3) Myelin, tubulin, kinase proteins
4) Amyloid plaques, beta amyloid-derived diffusible ligands (ADDLs)
5) Alzheimer's, Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS), Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's

1) Cilia
2) Oviducts (fallopian tubes), uterus, and upper two thirds of the cervix /
3) Microtubule associated proteins (MAPs)
4) Damage to cilia ranging from reduction in functioning to complete
dysmotility (making them unable to properly move the egg through the
fallopian tubes), inflammation of the fallopian tubes, tubal blockage,
ovarian cycsts (fluid-filled sacs or pockets),  scarring and adhesion, not
enough cervical mucus for sperm to survive, mucus too thick for sperm to
survive, mucus contains sperm antibodies, excess mucus, foul-smelling mucus
5) Infertility, tubal disease, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), ectopic
(abnormal location-ie., tubal) pregnancy, spontaneous abortion, polycystic
ovary disease, ovarian cancer, uteran cancer, cervical cancer, .

1) Follicles (cilia)
2) Thyroid gland
3) Thyroglobulin
4) Damage to thyroid involving excessive secretion of thyroid hormones due
to production of an antibody against TSH receptors on the thyroid cells in
the body, pathologically stimulating the thyroid cells. "Hyperthyroid
individuals have a high BMR [basal metabolic rate] (up to +100%). The
enhanced heat production depletes energy reserves (liver glycogen and body
fat) leading to wasting and thinness. These individuals are also irritable
and nervous, and show increased cardiovascular and respiratory activities.
Protruding eyeballs (exophthalmus) is one of the signs of hyperthyroidism.
Some individuals develop goiters. The follicular cells become enlarged, and
the colloid appears depleted." [Source: "Actions of Thyroid Hormones," The
Physiology Coloring Book]
5) Graves' disease (hyperthyroidism due to autoimmune disease)

1) Villi and microvilli (hair-like projections)
2) Small intestine (duodenum, jejunum, and ileum)
3) Kinase proteins and mRNA
4) Damage to villi ranging from reduction in functioning to complete
dysmotility (they stop functioning), flattening of villi, inflammation of
duodenum and intestines, excess production of intestinal mucus,
mucus-covered stools, flatulation, foul-smelling stools, diarrhea and/or
constipation, ulcers, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, duodenal ulcer, etc.
Colon cancer.
5) Celiac disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Chrohn's disease,
Gastroenteritis, ulcerative colitis, ...