C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Hunsberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:44:09 -0500
On 9/21/07, Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Peter,
>
>    What is the mosr reliable research source you have seen on whether or not we have
> reached the point of no return already - or its just around the corner we are turning now.
> Here is the point where I am seeing more variations in the scientists community. I
> know the Antartic ice sheets Larson A and B - truly have signalled a serious point
> in the cycle.

The upcoming IPCC report tries to give a global consensus picture of
what might happen, but apparently isn't perfect. There's an
explanation of why not that also sort of summarizes the expected
climate impact over the next century in near laymans terms here:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/08/regional-climate-projections/#more-442

It's a bit dense, Scientific American regularly produces articles that
are pretty easy to read and you might want to wade through their site
for their articles though I think some of them require a subscription.
 www.reaclimate.com is a interesting web site, but clearly skeptic
unfriendly.  I trust it, but only because one is free to follow the
debate and they link to the papers in question. However, if you don't
want to dig into the actual Nature, Science or Journal of Geophysical
Research then Scientific American may be the places to start.

You may notice I'm sort of ducking your question.  That's because I
don't think there's a single easy answer. Best I can tell, some parts
of the world are already in trouble (personally I wouldn't  buy land
in the New Orleans or the Florida Keys) and parts may not suffer
adverse effects for 100+ years or may even benefit.  I don't think
there is a single globally applicable answer to your question.

--
Peter Hunsberger