From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:31:29 -0400
Hi.

I have to agree with that.  Most of the teens that I hung out with were
very sensible and responsible.  But, I also do think that it was a
different world then.  I graduated from high school in 1978, and it is
staggering to consider the differences between then and now.

1.  Only a few people had home computers and they were more like glorified
calculators than anything with any real computing power.

2.  Most people still received television through an antenna.  It was
either rabbit ears or a roof top antenna--cable was only in the deep fringe
areas.

3.  No one had satellite TV.

4.  Video Game machines hadn't been developed yet, so we played board
games, or even played cards.

5.  Music was sold on casettes or vinyl records.  A few die-hards were
still buying 8 track tapes.

6.  Cellular telephone hadn't been developed yet.

7.  There were no CD players.

8.  Chewing gum in school was still a major infraction.

9.  None of my peers would have ever considered bringing a gun to school.

10.  I don't remember ever hearing of any of the teachers in my school
being physically assaulted.

11.  Most of us could read and most of us could handle 4 function math
without the benefit of a calculator.  It was a good thing, too, because my
school didn't allow them until you were a senior.

12.  We learned to type instead of keyboard.  I learned on an old Royal manual.

Please don't misunderstand.  I'm not a real conservative guy.  But I think
it was better then.  Much much better, and I think that at least in
American society, we need to get back to basics and I don't see anyone else
saying that.  I still know some very responsible teens, but most of them
have pretty old school parents.

73, de Lou K2LKK