From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 09:32:04 -0600
I find it rather interesting that this is the very first time i have heard even
a whiff of any issues with the ts2000.  Especially something as drastic as
losing tx on certain bands or sensativity on 2M.
This radio has been out for years and I've never heard of this, let alone
experienced it.  As for the display issue with the 746, that has been known
about almost since it came out, or at least, shortly after it was put out on
the market.
I'm not saying these issues didn't plague a couple ts2000's, however I would
certainly not go as far as to say that these problems are universal in any
way.  I would be interested to know how old these rigs were that experienced
these problems and possibly what had been done to them or if there was any
remote  possibility of static discharges into the radio or some kind of
disipation from the antenna during a storm.  As i mentioned, the 746 problem
certainly is universal, that has been well documented and publicized, and that
is why icom does the work for free, because they know they released a radio
with a manufacturing defect, but as for the 2000, I am extremely sceptical as
to the validity of more then a few claims regarding similar issues.  Also, any
radio that is a few years old can be susseptible to these sorts of issues.
Before i got my ts2000, i fully researched on qrz as well as eham.net regarding
any issues or manufacturing defects or problems that crop up after a couple
years, and truely found nothing that wasn't operator error or caused by
external forces.  I would say with full conviction that the ts2000, far from
being unreliable, is likely one of the most reliable multi-band transceivers
ever built.
Right next to the ts570, short of the internal battery needing to be replaced
every couple years, but that again, isn't a manufacturing defect, but rather
something that was part of the design and not easily overcome.
73
Colin, V A6BKX