From:
Pat Gormley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:34:08 -0400
I'm facing the same issue here where I'm trying to use a folded dipole and the antenna isn't working properly.  a g5rv and most folded dipole antennas of that type are shortened electrically and because of that they won't work properly below their resonant frequency.  My Barker and Williamson kt30 will load up on 160 but the electrical length is so short, that everything gets radiated into the feedline rather than the antenna.  The other problem I have is that I have a very oddly shaped piece of property and don't have the land to put up a full sized 80-meter antenna except as an inverted vee.  I also don't have any supports except for my 40-foot tower. 73- pat kk3f