From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:34:56 -0600
John, I agree that people can get ridiculous when pursuing accessibility,
but conversely, if you say you are willing to live with only a certain
amount of accessibility then what does that leave us.  I would think only 10
percent of the web is fully usable by a blind person.  I don't mind if
everything isn't completely and totally accessible to the blind.  Only two
good eyes will accomplish that.  But this problem is becoming more and more
critical.  Not only do we have inaccessible menus to deal with, but some of
them time out such that if you don't make your selection within a certain
amount of time, you are back at either the main screen or the previous menu
without knowing where you are.

I have a friend who has a digital oven which is supposed to default to the
last temperature setting she leaves it on, but it doesn't always do that,
and there are no audible cues to let anyone know what temp it is set on.
And there are only up and down arrow keys to set the temperature with.  This
is critical when attempting to do recipes.  Would it be too much to ask if
there were audible cue tones for each five degree differential in
temperature up or down, or better still keypad entry so that you know
exactly what temperature it is set on?  And speech really isn't that hard to
program into something.  After all, they can program novelty style speech
into different products, so why not functional speech?
Harvey