From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:04:50 -0500
Hi Richard,

Yeah, at 23 ft. it's a bit low for good 20 meter operation.  The 19 ft.
Radio Shack mast sits in a  pipe cemented into the ground  with 4 ft. below
ground and 4 above.   There's a hole through the pipe and  when the mast is
extended and lifted up a bolt is slid into the hole and the base of the mast
sits on the bolt,  about 2 1/2 ft. above ground level.

A channel Master TV rotor and short  mast stub puts the boom at the towering
height of 23 ft.   I'm sorry now that I didn't get the 36 ft. mast while RS
still sold them.  Channel Master  has  30 or 40 footers and maybe in the
future I'll go that route.

It's guyed at 2 levels  and in 4 directions using black Dacron rope.    Some
of the rope is rated at 900+ pounds and some is  the next size larger.   Has
held up well in ice and strong winds.   This type of mast must be guyed.

73, Steve KW3A