From:
T Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:06:40 -0500
Hi, all.

My XYL and I just traded up from our old 18-foot travel trailer to a
drivable motor home.  Just for the record, it's a 31-foot Holiday Rambler
Atlantis.

I'm in the process of getting workable ham antennas on the unit.

I have been working with, and getting a lot of help from a professional RV
service mechanic who works for the dealer where we bought the RV, and who
just happens to be a very knowledgeable ham.

MY HF screw-driver-type antenna is installed on the back left-hand side of
the RV, and seems like it will work just fine with the auto-tuner I use with
it.

My problem comes up with getting a good workable 2-meter and 440 antenna.

When we had the old travel trailer, I used an aluminum J-pole antenna on a
painter's pole, that probably stood a good 10 or 12 feet above the trailer,
in free space.  And, it worked just fine.

I have tried mounting that same J-pole to the ladder of the RV, but my SWR's
are a bit questionable, probably due to RF coupling with the ladder and the
alluminum siding on the RV.  At our local 2-meter repeater frequency, of
146.740 with a negative off-set, the SWR is about 1.6 to 1, but when I try
repeaters in the 147 MHZ range, my SWR goes up to about 2.2 to 1.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I might correct for this SWR
problem?

Or, should I be thinking of a totally different antenna arrangement for the
RV for 2 meters and 440?

If I should think of a different antenna arrangement, what might be
suggested?

I am now on a rather limited budget, especially since we bought the RV (HI!
HI!), but I could spend some money if I had to.

Any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks, and 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ