From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:10:14 -0500
Matt,

If you can find the right connector, why not try that 2-meter antenna?  You
can't hurt either the radio or the antenna, and you might be surprised to
find that it works.  Unfortunately, I don't think your poor reception is
caused by a lack of antenna.  I think you may have experienced a general
increase in RF noise, which can mask weaker signals and make it seem as if
your radio isn't working properly.  You'll notice this more on FM and TV
bands than you will on AM or shortwave where the increased RF just sounds
like noise.  Worst case scenario, the bigger antenna will overload the radio
and signals will be distorted, or you'll hear a lot of false images of
stations on frequencies where they don't belong.  It's a gamble, but you've
got nothing to lose.

Steve