From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:50:01 -0500
Gery,

Lots of hams check everything by whistling, but in my opinion you're far
better off using a steady carrier, which you can get by putting the radio
into CW and keying the transmitter.  A low SWR means only that your
transmitter is matched to the antenna feed, but it doesn't guarantee that
your antenna is radiating properly.  That said, though, you're more likely
to be transmitting if your SWR is low than if it's too high because a high
enough SWR causes the radio to stop transmitting.  A high SWR also means
that most of the RF is being dissipated before it ever reaches the antenna.

Steve