From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:50:25 -0500
Hi Howard.

Frankly, the statement about System Access is baloney.  System Access is a
good tool for someone with light to medium accessibility requirements who
primarily needs to be able to move from machine to machine, but for
situations where serious customization is needed, or access is needed to
programs that are not mainstream end-user programs like MS Word, Outlook
and the like, System Access is pretty worthless.  I'll give you the point
with K1000.  I don't know why FS hasn't scrapped Open Book, because it is a
dog for most OCR purposes, and the interface has been tacked onto too many
times.  They need to start over on that one.
]
As for the notetakers, I think it depends upon what you want it for, and
whether you prefer a Perkins style keyboard or a QWERTY keyboard.  I like
the Pac Mate QWERTY, but if I were doing braille entry, the unit I really
like is the Braille Sense, although they need to get GPS going on it.  The
Braille Note would be a close second.

My point is that adaptive technology choices need to be purpose driven,
just like RAM, hard disk size, and processor choices are generally decided
by what you will use a computer for when you go shopping for a new computer.

I agree that people need to have the opportunity to check out programs, and
in our area, that is how assessments are handled.  I do find, however, that
sometimes sighted trainers have much more trouble relating to blind people
than the blind trainers do.  I've seen that with my own agency--I suppose
it's human nature.  I can show people things that other trainers miss
because I use the stuff myself and I know where all of the pitfalls are.

But, do remember that there are times when one product is selected over
another for specific reasons, and that what might be unimportant to you
might be critically important to someone else.  I think it is only fair to
remember that each screen reader has areas where it is strong and other
areas where it is weak.  A good adaptive technology buying decision should
match the product's strengths with your individual requirements.

73, de Lou K2LKK