AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aggo Akyea <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:42:41 -0800
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Today is Veterans Day, honoring Americans who have
served in the armed forces.

The philosopher Bertrand Russell said of the First
World War;

"All this madness, all this rage, all this flaming
death of our civilization and our hopes, has been
brought about because a set of official gentlemen,
living luxurious lives, mostly stupid, and all without
imagination or heart, have chosen that it should occur
rather than that any one of them should suffer some
infinitesimal rebuff to his country's pride."

November 11 was originally called Armistice Day
because it was on this day in 1918 that the First
World War came to an end. The armistice was signed at
11:00 AM, on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of
the eleventh month of the year. After four years of
brutal trench fighting, nine million soldiers had died
and 21 million were wounded. It was called "The War to
End All Wars," because it was the bloodiest war in
history up to that point, and it made many people so
sick of war that they hoped no war would ever break
out again.

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

Aggo Akyea
http://www.tribalpages.com/tribes/akyea

"Instead of studying how to make it worth men's while to buy my baskets,
I studied rather how to avoid the necessity of selling them."
WALDEN by Henry David Thoreau – 1854