AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:49:54 -0600
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

You may discount the Roe effect if you like. The fact remains, we have
40 million fewer people than we should have had. If there are more
abortions in Democratic states, Democrats are giving birth to fewer
little Democrats and there will simply be more Republicans to vote
Republican.

From the Opinion Journal of the Wall Street Journal:

'Strictly a Business Decision'
CNSNews.com looks at the Planned Parenthood annual report (link in PDF)
and notes an interesting trend:

    The Planned Parenthood Federation of America, the nation's most
frequent provider of abortions, is performing more of the procedures
than ever--albeit in fewer clinics--and relying increasingly on the
revenue generated from abortions, according to its Fiscal Year 2004
annual report.

"A survey of newspaper stories regarding the closing of 11 of the
organization's clinics during Fiscal Year 2004 revealed a common cause,"
CNSNews reports: Demand for abortions in these areas is declining.
CNSNews notes that clinics have closed in Texas, Ohio and Indiana--all
states President Bush carried--and in Houghton, Mich., which is in a
northern county where Bush outpolled John Kerry, 56% to 43%:

    "While we recognize the need for affordable family planning services
in the Copper Country," said Scott Blanchard, executive director of PPNM
[Planned Parenthood of Northern Michigan], "our Houghton center simply
hasn't served enough clients to justify the monthly costs to keep it going."

    Closing the facility was a difficult decision, Blanchard noted in a
press release, in part because "those who oppose Planned Parenthood's
presence in Houghton will undoubtedly see this as a victory.

    "However, this was strictly a business decision," he said.

This suggests that the demand for abortion is becoming more concentrated
in areas that vote Democratic. In other words, the Roe effect is
accelerating.