Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 19:23:57 -0700
Well, all ham operators should move to Canada where, fortunately, we are all
still relatively free and equal.
As far as towers and antenna support structures for amateur use goes,
industry Canada has full jurisdiction over them, and over rides any local,
or regional bi-laws or legislation that has been passed.
Even if you are a part of a home owners association that has restrictive
rules against antennas, they cannot legally do anything if you choose to put
up a radio tower as long as that tower is in accordance with federal
regulations and criteria.
The city where i live has a bi-law that states a person must have a permit
to put up a tower, and get approval from any neighbors, excetra...all of
which are not legally required.  However, industry Canada does encourage
hams to inform their neighbors and to obtain a city permit if it will keep
things from getting out of hand.    Here in the city, a person who wishes to
file a complaint about a tower, must pay $80 to file the complaint with the
city, and then must attend a hearing, where they will be told in no
uncertain terms that the ham is well within his or her rights to erect an
antenna support structure.
Now, as for height, I believe most hams stay within the set bi-laws, but
even those are not binding.  We're allowed 68 feet under the bi-law, but can
put up a tower of any height as long as it is within the federal guide lines
for space around the bass and supporting ground work and or guy lines, and
as long as it doesn't interphere with federally regulated air space.

So mister Alabama should move up here where he can be free to practice his
hobby without penalty to his status, lively hood, or standard of living.
I find it quite ironic that a country who fights for so called freedom in
the rest of the world, restricts it and penalizes its own citizens for
practicing it at home.
But i guess the right to possess and carry a fire arm is more important then
the right to indulge in harmless and potentially helpful recreational
activities such as amateur radio.

73
Colin, CF6BKX